Post grad entry to medicine at UNSW (1 Viewer)

travalina

HSC
Hey, i was interested in entering post graduate Sports medicine at UNSW. On their website it said you needed to have an undergraduate degree in medicine or an equivalent course. Is Chiropractic Science an equivalent course? You deal with anatomy and sports injuries in chiro as well as have clinical experience, so their is some relationship there. Does anyone know? I've contacted the uni but haven't heard back thanks

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Are you referring to the following courses?

9055 Master of Sports Medicine
5503 Graduate Diploma in Sports Medicine
7378 Graduate Certificate in Sports Medicine

These are postgraduate coursework programs about 1 year in length. You MUST have a MBBS to do it because they are for med graduates who wish to know a bit more about sports medicine. More like an "add-on" thing, rather than another new degree. And I think they are delivered via Distance Mode.

More info from the website:

The programs aim to provide the latest knowledge and skills in all areas of sports medicine to medical practitioners/physicians and to provide them with continuing education in the latest developments from around the world. Delivery is by distance mode. The programs are for Medical Practitioners and Physicians.

travalina

HSC
Yes they are what i'm referring to. Doesn't look to promising, but I've known/seen chiropractors with a master of sports med to their credentials. I'm really interested in doing it but don't know how to get into a course like this or similar, any help would be great

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
You cannot get into those courses without a Med degree.

Note** "The programs are for Medical Practitioners and Physicians."

travalina

HSC
Thanks for the help Pointdexter, so entry into master of sports med (research) is accessible to those that have completed a degree or just med sci grad's?
Will having completed this course allow you to practice sports med say at a clinic treating these injuries?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
no its a research degree.. so you end up goin to develop things not.. practical.. sorry..

sports medicine is the domain of medical practitioners.. due to the implication of surgery..

u could do lik sports rehab with like physio/OT but im not sure about chiro's role..
http://www.sma.org.au/contacts/discipline_groups.asp

best ask the guys who do this things.. ask Macq chiro.. not UNSW med..
http://www.chiro.mq.edu.au/Research/Staff_Profiles/Pollard.htm .. mabbe one of this guys qual is wat ure looking for.. not sports medicine.. cos tats well a technicality in terms

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)