Post-grad ICT studies at UOW - first thoughts (1 Viewer)

Shivan82

HSC
Hi All,

this is my first post *waves*

I come from 7 years industry experience in ICT, I never did a bachelors. I'm quite happy with my career so far, I've slowly climbed the ladder through exciting work in 3 continents, learning on the fly..ending up with a job in identity management in 'gong.

I was overjoyed at the the ease with which I was accepted into a master's program(MICT), given my lack of a BSc. I was expecting to find many people like myself, late 20s, returning to uni for advanced studies in ICT to further their professional development. How very wrong I was!

What I found was a 'visa factory' for asian students, most of whom can barely speak English, straight out of undergrad uni with no work experience. I was also shocked to find under and post-grad subjects combined!!!! Here is was in a group with english speaking undergrads with no idea about real-world ICT experience and asian post-grad students with kindergarten-level English.

I don't want to sound racist, but if I was to apply for a Masters in China I'd expect that I'd need to have high level of proficiency in Chinese, not that the uni, if it was at all a serious one, would 'hold my hand', this isn't grade school!

ISIT900 is a total joke! Here is someone starting what he thinks is a Masters and finds himself in a class teaching 'advanced' topics like 'what is a business' and 'what is business software'!!!

Frankly I'm shocked and a bit disillusioned with uni studies. My gf, in her early-30s, has also just started a Master in public policy at Sydney Uni after over 10 years of work experience in the government sector. She comes home overjoyed and terrified at the complexity of the subjects and the interesting people she finds in her class, all united in a passion for knowledge.

Am I naive in wanting to go to uni for the pleasure of learning and expanding my ICT skillset? Or should I just go through two years of boredom thinking of the piece of paper I'll get a the end? Are all ICT Masters degrees in Australia pretty much just visa factories?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with the UOW ICT program. However, to be frank, I would not count it as one of the top programs in Australia. You would be much better off going to one of the Sydney universities.

The CS (I forgot what it is called now) side is much better in comparison.

Shivan82

HSC
Yes, I'm thinking of transferring to Sydney.

Do you recommend I try and get the best grade in my current subject at UOW and then look transferring at spring session to Syd?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Getting a good grade can't hurt your chances of transferring. I'd recommend hanging in there and just make the most of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)