post grad medicine? (1 Viewer)

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
im doing med science this year at usyd, and i was just wondering whether its really tough to get into post grad medicine at usyd? i just have really no idea what its like at usyd, so can someone with any knowledge know if its really difficult to make it to post grad medicine, or its something anyone can do?
any comments will be appeciated as this will really affect my decision on whether or not i really want to do med science. thanks for ur help

lala2

Banned
HSC
haha yeah, I'd like to know a bit more about it too. According to the website, you need a GPA of 5.5 (something like that), which they said is equivalent to an average of 65+ at USYD (which is not true--a GPA of 5 equates to an average of 65, i.e. a credit aerage). Anyone have any idea on this inconsistency?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
For starters, as someone has pointed out, to do post grad med you need a MBBS and have worked as an intern.

As for the grad med program, you need a GPA of 5.5 and GAMSAT of at least 60 to get an interview. I haven't been through the interview but I didn't find GAMSAT too hard even without studying, but others might disagree. As for the GPA, you're using the ACER Column B conversion for USyd, which is 4.5/5.75/6.75/7 for P/Cr/D/HD, so 5.5 shouldn't be hard at all.

The interview does appear to be difficult with the new system of questions on current health issues.

If you're just doing med science to get into med, my answer is don't do that, transfer to science and do something you like instead.

krayzie_

HSC
What is GAMSAT scaled between? I assume 0 - 100?

Maintaining a credit should be easy if your putting in the effort.

As for the interview.. Is the new system designed to see how knowledgable candidates are on current health issues? I mean is these questions to target general knowledge or should candidates be doing some research to be able to do well in the interview!

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
GAMSAT is officially scaled between 0-100, but the candidature generally obtain marks from mid 30s to 80 something.

Credit average and 5.5 GPA are not the same, however both should be attainable if you put in the effort.

For the interview, visit the USyd GMP site. From what I gather it's a cross between having knowledge of the health system and able to discuss the topics. Research is always recommended.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)