Post grad teaching/education qualifications? (1 Viewer)

ChelseaMiller

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a 3rd year undergrad student doing science/arts and am now thinking about possible career pathways. I was thinking about social work which led me to think about teaching.

What degrees/diplomas are out there that I could do after I've graduated from undergrad?

Furthermore, what skills would being a teacher require. And lastly, how did you figure out if you wanted to be a primary or secondary school teacher?

Thank you! :)

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
1.Master of teaching, 2yrs minimum if i remember
2.Energy, making sure you actually know and are passionate about your area of teaching(maths,science, english ect), dont bother about passion for "teaching" itself
3. job market is easy

HSC
Postgraduate teaching options are:
Diploma - 1 year course
Masters of Teaching - 2 years

Although I'm still in year 12 and deciding on whether primary/secondary education would suit me better, I would be realistic and take a look at the job market/what you're actually interested in. Personally, I'm at a crossroads because although I like classroom primary teaching better, there is a greater demand for Secondary math/science teachers. Depending on the majors/minors you've completed in your degree (i.e., Math/Chem/Phys VS English Lit/History) will help you decide on whether to pursue wither primary/sec. Also look at what kinds of schools you'd want to work at, public VS independent sector, and what those schools are looking for.

Figuring out if I wanted to teach:
1. Willingness to work hard for your students - planning and designing well thought out activities that aim to stretch their understanding of the topic/subject, willingness to do extra marking/work to help students
2. Passion for the subject you plan to teach, and I would also say a passion for helping other people in their ability to learn
3. Patience, ability to take criticism/feedback from students
4. Liking kids therefore being able to work and work well with kids (I currently tutor a primary school students in math and I find it's the best job in the entire world).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)