Post-preference worries (1 Viewer)

DaRanjed

I need some guidance here...I was surprised I could sleep last night.

E.g

Pref A - 92.3
Pref B - 90
Pref C - 81
Pref D - 95
Pref E - 87

Let's assume these UAI cutoffs stay the same.

I got 89 for my UAI.
If I don't get offers for A,B and D, BUT can I get offers for BOTH Pref C and Pref E?

I don't really know who this works. Can I get TWO or more offers at the same time in the Main Round?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If they're both for HECS places, you'll only get one offer - and that's for the higher preference.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
in each and every one round you may only get ONE HECS place and ONE full fee paying place only.

DaRanjed

Can I accept the first offer...and wait for the Second Round one (assuming I get another one).

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
The only subjects you will be considered for in later rounds are ones that are a higher preference than the one you have been offered.

DaRanjed

So I definitely won't get Pref E...?

E.g

Pref A - 92.3
Pref B - 90
Pref C - 81
Pref D - 95
Pref E - 87

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Depends on how the cut offs go this year. If they remained the same then you wont get E

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
you would get the highest preference for which you satisfy the UAI cut off = C

DaRanjed

Holy God...

Thanks you guys.

I just hope Social Inquiry will drop down to 89.
The cutoff was 93.75 in 2003. It was 90.35 in 2004.
HOPEFULLY it'll go down at least 1 mark.

Any chance? :(

p i r a t e

Okay, so just say you get offered your 1st preference in the main round...in the next round do you still have the option to keep your 1st preference but get offered another option (preference 2-9?) You get it lol?

I have the feeling that I put in the wrong code for my choices... is there anything I can do so I don't get considered for that course that I entered the wrong UAI code in for? Should I contact the uni or UAC and asked them not to consider me for one of my preferences?

tennille

HSC
p i r a t e said:
Okay, so just say you get offered your 1st preference in the main round...in the next round do you still have the option to keep your 1st preference but get offered another option (preference 2-9?) You get it lol?

I have the feeling that I put in the wrong code for my choices... is there anything I can do so I don't get considered for that course that I entered the wrong UAI code in for? Should I contact the uni or UAC and asked them not to consider me for one of my preferences?
You'll get an offer in the main round. Let's say it's your 2nd choice. But, depending on the demand of your first choice, you may get another offer in the late round for it (I think- someone please correct me if I'm wrong). It's all in the "You and your UAI" brochure thing. I think that's how it works.

Didn't you get a confirmation letter for your preferences? Check the UAC website on whether you entered the wrong code.

Last edited:

tennille

HSC
Argonaut said:
If you accept your first offer, you won't get a second (to my knowledge).
I thought you could. Check "Your UAC 'how to' Guide" that you got through the mail. Read the answer to the last question (Q10). I don't know, maybe I read it wrong.

It states:

If you receive an offer in one round and accept it, and then receive an offer in a later round, you can choose either to:

- keep your previous offer and not accept your new offer; or

- withdraw from your previous offer and accept your new offer.

Last edited:

Lainee

HSC
What natstar says is right. However, if you accept your 1st offer in the main round and decide that what you really wanted were your 2nd or 3rd (etc.) preferences, then you may change them around for consideration in the later rounds. But no late round offers if you don't change your preferences.

tennille

HSC
Lainee said:
What natstar says is right. However, if you accept your 1st offer in the main round and decide that what you really wanted were your 2nd or 3rd (etc.) preferences, then you may change them around for consideration in the later rounds. But no late round offers if you don't change your preferences.
read "Your UAC 'how to' Guide" that you got through the mail. Read the answer to the last question (Q10).

tennille

HSC
It also states "you don't need to change your preferences if you want to be considered for preferences higher than your offer- ie. if you receive a main round offer for your 3rd preference, you will automatically be considered for you 1st and 2nd preferences again in the Late and Final rounds if those courses have vacancies">

Lainee

HSC
Say these are your preferences:

1. Combined Law @ USYD
2. Combined Law @ UNSW
3. Business @ UTS
4. Combined Law (FEE) @ USYD

Example 1: Main Round You qualify for and are offered Preferences 1. and 4. One a HECS place and the other a FEE paying place. You can accept either and refuse the other. You will not be considered in the later rounds, if you keep this same order of preferences.

Example 2: Main Round You qualify for and are offered Preferences 2. and 4. You can accept either and refuse the other. You will be considered in the later rounds for Preference 1., if you keep this same order of preferences.
Late Round: You qualify for and are offered Preference 1. You can accept this and refuse your main round offer, or vice versa.

Example 3: Main Round: You qualify for and are offered Preference 1. and 4. You can accept either and refuse the other. If you want to be considered in the later round you must change your preferences putting a different course as your first preference. For example, you may change it to:
1. Combined Law @ UNSW
2. Business @ UTS
Later Round: You will be considered for this new list of preferences. Based on what you qualify for you will be able to accept it and refuse your main round offer, or vice versa.

I think I've covered all the possible situations in those examples. I hope it's all clear now. :)

tennille

HSC
Example 2: Main Round You qualify for and are offered Preferences 2. and 4. You can accept either and refuse the other. You will be considered in the later rounds for Preference 1., if you keep this same order of preferences.
Late Round: You qualify for and are offered Preference 1. You can accept this and refuse your main round offer, or vice versa.
That's what I meant. lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)