Post text-lists here (some already included) (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Here are some of the text lists revealed thus far (you can call them and they will tell you).

MKTG 1001 -
Principles of Marketing (Kotler)
+
Study guide

ECOP 1001 -
Economics as a social science: readings (Stilwell)

ECMT 1010 -
Basic business statistics (9th edition) (berinson?)
$109

WORK 1001 -
Industrial relations (bray?)

GOVT1105 The Globalization of World Politics, Baylis and Smith

GOVT1101 Powerscape: Contemporary Australian political practice, Vromen and Gelber

Last edited:

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
why not just wait till they they tell you in your first class?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
because then theres heaps of cues. I'm buying from a second hand textbook site, and theres really no point in paying $100+ for each t.b. as you can get them for under $50

Generator

HSC
N/A
A textbook is not something that you must buy right away (if at all). Though this thread may be helpful, I would suggest that everyone take note of Espo's post, too.

frenchie

HSC
GOVT1105 The Globalization of World Politics, Baylis and Smith

GOVT1101 Powerscape: Contemporary Australian political practice, Vromen and Gelber

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
some schools (eg school of chemistry) have handbooks. these usually state the textbooks which are used and what reference books are used. you could find these by following links from the usyd faculty websites

Lainee

HSC
Generator said:
A textbook is not something that you must buy right away (if at all). Though this thread may be helpful, I would suggest that everyone take note of Espo's post, too.
Well.. if you know what books you may need before hand, you can beat the queues (not 'cues' as someone else said :p ) and maybe manage to snatch a good second-hand copy before anyone else gets their fingers on it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
or you can call the co=op store (too late now)

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i got lists at enrolment and got some of my books on my way home. saved me some trouble

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
you'll definitely need the Kotler for marketing, the Berry for ECMT and the Baylis for World Pol... so yeah, if you come across one cheaply, buy it...

Lainee

HSC
My local library has copies of most of the books I think I'll need.. just a few editions behind, unfortuantely. Before I found out that they were old editions I thought about just keeping the book and paying the fine for a lost library book. :p Would've been much cheaper that way! But I guess the library thought of that already...

EDIT: Does it matter if I get an old edition textbook?

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
because then theres heaps of cues. I'm buying from a second hand textbook site, and theres really no point in paying $100+ for each t.b. as you can get them for under $50
You shouldn't buy your books until 2nd week. Despite the lists coming out you will find lecturers will say "Despite the fact Book X is on the list, it doesn't really have the information you need or I don't like how it is presented so we won't be using it"
And then you've just gone and wasted your money :p

korry

HSC
N/A
for the Baylis and Smith one, there's a new edition this year, but does it matter if you get an older edition? it's just that it's so much cheaper...

Generator

HSC
N/A
yulia said:
You shouldn't buy your books until 2nd week. Despite the lists coming out you will find lecturers will say "Despite the fact Book X is on the list, it doesn't really have the information you need or I don't like how it is presented so we won't be using it"
And then you've just gone and wasted your money :p
You all should listen to yulia. Uni isn't necessarily a continuation of textbook learning, so there is no need to jump the gun for a bargain or to beat the queues when you may not even need a particular book at all. The Earth will not be hit by a comet if you get your textbooks after a lecture or two.

Note: The above only applies to reference and possibly course texts. When it comes to course readers and lab manuals sold through the copy centre, you are on more certain ground so feel free to join the queue (it isn't that bad, despite the length) or pre-order the relevant items online at any time. The items will be listed under the uos code and will be added to the list whenever they become available.

Basically, if you want to leap ahead, do so with the readers and manuals from the copy centre (if they are available) rather than textbooks from the coop... I doubt that anyone here would like to waste $90 (now dead textbook subsidy and coop discount) on a biology reference text that will only used on a regular basis before the relevant first year exams... Then again, it's your money, so do what you want.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ENGG1801- nothing:D
AERO1560- nothing:D
MATH1901- notes from copy stop (~$10)
MATH1902- as above (~$20)
Physics- Uni Physics 11th Ed ($125)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
ENGG1801- nothing:D
AERO1560- nothing:D
MATH1901- notes from copy stop (~$10)
MATH1902- as above (~$20)
Physics- Uni Physics 11th Ed ($125)
Doesnt Physics have a practical manual also?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)