Post-Trials, awkward phase: what now? How to study for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

SASH_06_X

HSC
So, Trials are finally over, and now I am in floundering in the awkward phase where I am waiting on tenterhooks for my results while not really wanting them because I know I bombed them. Blah, blah, blah. Enough ranting about Trials.

My question is, now Trials are over, I am at sea and in a complete muddle on how to study for the HSC. Exams are in a little less than two months and I am unsure where to begin. How do I make an effective study plan to stick to? Should I just begin poring over my notes again like I did for Trials? Draw diagrams? As for past papers, I don't feel up to tackling them yet because I don't feel like I have enough understanding to answer them at the moment, so I would like to save them until about 3 weeks-ish before the exams. But that is the only thing I feel clear about at the moment. Anyone got a solid study plan they'd like to share?

(PS, I know one of the first things people will say to do after Trials is to take a break, and to clarify, I have taken a break. My exams were over mid last week, so I've relaxed from that point up to now. So figured might as well grit my teeth and knuckle down to study now, as I am fully determined to get a Band 5(at the minimum) across all my subjects.)

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
So, Trials are finally over, and now I am in floundering in the awkward phase where I am waiting on tenterhooks for my results while not really wanting them because I know I bombed them. Blah, blah, blah. Enough ranting about Trials.

My question is, now Trials are over, I am at sea and in a complete muddle on how to study for the HSC. Exams are in a little less than two months and I am unsure where to begin. How do I make an effective study plan to stick to? Should I just begin poring over my notes again like I did for Trials? Draw diagrams? As for past papers, I don't feel up to tackling them yet because I don't feel like I have enough understanding to answer them at the moment, so I would like to save them until about 3 weeks-ish before the exams. But that is the only thing I feel clear about at the moment. Anyone got a solid study plan they'd like to share?

(PS, I know one of the first things people will say to do after Trials is to take a break, and to clarify, I have taken a break. My exams were over mid last week, so I've relaxed from that point up to now. So figured might as well grit my teeth and knuckle down to study now, as I am fully determined to get a Band 5(at the minimum) across all my subjects.)
i was about to say take a break until i read that last paragraph 😅. I think you should go over content a bit and start past papers (thats the best way to start), because i dont think itd be good to cram them within the last 3 weeks

HSCya1234567

HSC
I've set up this plan where each night I dedicate a subject to do a past paper for, so tn is chem tmr is maths, wed is latin ill let u know how it goes

chonzyy

HSC
im still doing my trials. tmr is my chem trials. ive got two more to go ( Business and Biology) great!

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Start spamming past papers, that was my main strategy. I tried to save the HSC papers to later into my study and started off with jrhs, baulko, sgs etc trial papers. I'd save 2022 hsc for your last practice paper. For english I just crammed it in the 7 days before the exam, took breaks by doing mx1 mx2 past papers.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC

What I've done is made a huge list of every possible paper that I want to do, then set out the amount of time I have left for HSC. For me, that's three weeks of school and a month of study leave (approx). That gives me (if I have perfect time management and work every day perfectly) enough time for 80 papers max. Obviously, I'm not going to get through 80 papers because that's insane, but I now have an estimate of how much time I have available.

If you want to spend time studying content beforehand to consolidate before doing papers, I recommend something like this - I.e., you know you can spend two weeks studying but still have a month to crunch papers. Even doing ten per subject (I think I'll aim for 15per) will be great and definitely enough to allow you to see enough volume of questions to get those band 5s.

Take it slow and don't burn out too early. Set out your time - not strictly, I find it doesn't work for me and for a lot of people - but to the point where you aren't doing the same thing or subject every day and neglecting something (E.g. for me usually English)

Reach out for help from teachers if you need, or ask here I guess.

You've got this! 🤩🤩🤩

SASH_06_X

HSC
What I've done is made a huge list of every possible paper that I want to do, then set out the amount of time I have left for HSC. For me, that's three weeks of school and a month of study leave (approx). That gives me (if I have perfect time management and work every day perfectly) enough time for 80 papers max. Obviously, I'm not going to get through 80 papers because that's insane, but I now have an estimate of how much time I have available.

If you want to spend time studying content beforehand to consolidate before doing papers, I recommend something like this - I.e., you know you can spend two weeks studying but still have a month to crunch papers. Even doing ten per subject (I think I'll aim for 15per) will be great and definitely enough to allow you to see enough volume of questions to get those band 5s.

Take it slow and don't burn out too early. Set out your time - not strictly, I find it doesn't work for me and for a lot of people - but to the point where you aren't doing the same thing or subject every day and neglecting something (E.g. for me usually English)

Reach out for help from teachers if you need, or ask here I guess.

You've got this! 🤩🤩🤩
Thanks! That was some pretty bang on advice, i think ill do what u said and make a list of papers first and then go on from there. BTW, do you know how long is STUVAC?

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Thanks! That was some pretty bang on advice, i think ill do what u said and make a list of papers first and then go on from there. BTW, do you know how long is STUVAC?
I'm not too sure exactly but my school starts it around week 9/10???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)