Post war expectations etc (1 Viewer)

Aussiechick

HSC
Does anyone have any notes on post war expectations from soldiers and civilians of the government? I need notes with a bit of detail, but not too much.

All notes are welcome!!

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
umm check out the main site, go to the modern section of the notes, and d/l the course summaries, those ppl have incl post war expectations in their total notes

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
This is all I have on here about it.... it's from my brief summary, but it might give you some ideas for investigation to compile more detailed notes. Check out the HTA Modern History Study Guide if you can get ahold of it, it has a great WW1 section.

Post war challenges
Britains large overseas debt (especially to the USA), high inflation, higher taxation, rationing still required
Housing shortage
Not enough jobs for all the demobilized soldiers
Medical treatment for many war injured
Support for war widows and orphans needed
Influenza epidemic in Europe late 1918 affected about 75% of the population
People wanted the government to make Germany pay for the war.
Lloyd George pledged to build A home fit for heroes, soldiers expected recognition of their sacrifice.
Demobilization was well planned, but there were still some problems with men demanding to go home.
Unemployment was a major problem
Industrial chaos as workers sought improved wages and working conditions.
Public wanted improvements in medical services because many veterans were injured or disabled after the war.
Women wanted the right to vote after their contribution to the war effort. This wish was granted in 1918.
Public education was an issue, but reforms in 1918 made improvements.

sugared plum

HSC
you have to differentiate between the two groups because they both had different war experiences whcih led to different expectations.

soldiers: some in trenches fighting , others bored cooking or no action (remember not all the same for all soldiers)
so, if they were injured they wanted medical benefits scheme, compensation, return to jobs, a 'land fit for heros', wanted germany to pay for their suffering, fast demobilisation (this didn't happen)

civilians: sacrifices on the homefront (DORA) wanted a better life, women and their jobs?? more women unemployed after war (!) but were enfranchised, wanted mass graves in france for thier loved ones

there is ltos more, a really good reference i found was 'death's men' by denis winter; the last chapter has lots of newspaper references and first hand accounts. it's really good. AJp Taylor's history is also good for this post-war section.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)