• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Post Your Half-yearly Mark (1 Viewer)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
ishq said:
I lost all my marks in the practical. It was worth as much as the theory. Nothing was wrong with the my practical itself, but our supervisor cut marks off for
a) Holding the acid too close to your body (2 marks)
b) Taking off the safety glasses for one millisecond (1 mark)
c) Pouring the solution aove eye level (1 mark)

Does anybody's school have such a marking criteria?
well although it seems as though u had marks deducted hashly, but in reality it's a good thing...

holding the acid too close to ur body is exteremely danegrous...

taking the saftey glassess off for one millisecond is a heavy safety risk... all it takes is one millisecond for a hazourd to occur..

oh and by the way lol... it's impossible for u to have ur glassess off for one milisecond because it would take at least 0.5 seconds to take them off and 0.5 seconds to put them on that's if they were close to ur face and if they were far from ur face in total it'll take around 2 seconds... and 2 seconds is alot...

pouring the solution above eye level is also risky... it'll also decrease the stability of ur hand... and u could spill the chemicals everywehere.. and u'll have less accuracy in ur answers...

our schools marking criteria isn't that harsh but i wish it was...

ohh by the way... thats 4 marks in total and how much was the assessment out of....?...

moreover... i don't think u should be minused as much as u did unless if the whole exam is out of 100.... i'd say for an exam out of 20, 1.5 marks total deducted for all of the above...

physician

HSC
beckles said:
oh dear....thats right, i'd tried to shut it out...
a HUGE 43....%...bom bom boooommmb...i know, didnt study at all, and am now considering dropping it, coz the damn exam was worth 25%...aaargh!
hmm... wow that's a huge chunk... but u have 13 units... so u could drop chem...

( 1 ) how r ur other subjects and is chem ur weakest
( 2 ) how did the rest of the class perform
( 3 ) there's still 75% worth of assessments.... (unless u've completed another assesssment previously)

but if it's worth 25% and u didn't study.. thenm i'd take it that chem isn't ur favourite and u've probably been considereing dropping for a while...

i could be wrong (infact i probably am) but take 1,2 and 3 into consideration before u do anything

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
ishq said:
I lost all my marks in the practical. It was worth as much as the theory. Nothing was wrong with the my practical itself, but our supervisor cut marks off for
a) Holding the acid too close to your body (2 marks)
b) Taking off the safety glasses for one millisecond (1 mark)
c) Pouring the solution aove eye level (1 mark)

Does anybody's school have such a marking criteria?
Lol, at our school, everyone gets 100% for that part of the practical and for the report, I already knew exactly what i would say before hand, hence getting 100%

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
well... for my exam... i got 65%... mark bad (well, it could have been worse)... rank good!! 2nd. But... only out of 4. damn. Hmm...

Pace_T

HSC
heh its cool with small classes
the worst i can come is 2nd :p
hopefully getting my marks tomorrow :eek: fail 4 me ;O

physician

HSC
Pace_T said:
heh its cool with small classes
the worst i can come is 2nd :p
hopefully getting my marks tomorrow :eek: fail 4 me ;O
u only have 2 students....

i thought my class of 4 was tiny...

ishq

brown?
HSC
physician said:
well although it seems as though u had marks deducted hashly, but in reality it's a good thing...

holding the acid too close to ur body is exteremely danegrous...

taking the saftey glassess off for one millisecond is a heavy safety risk... all it takes is one millisecond for a hazourd to occur..

oh and by the way lol... it's impossible for u to have ur glassess off for one milisecond because it would take at least 0.5 seconds to take them off and 0.5 seconds to put them on that's if they were close to ur face and if they were far from ur face in total it'll take around 2 seconds... and 2 seconds is alot...

pouring the solution above eye level is also risky... it'll also decrease the stability of ur hand... and u could spill the chemicals everywehere.. and u'll have less accuracy in ur answers...

our schools marking criteria isn't that harsh but i wish it was...

ohh by the way... thats 4 marks in total and how much was the assessment out of....?...

moreover... i don't think u should be minused as much as u did unless if the whole exam is out of 100.... i'd say for an exam out of 20, 1.5 marks total deducted for all of the above...
It was
1. 15% assessment, out of 20.
2. Presumably 0.1M HCl, but considering the stingy nature of our lab assisstant, more like 0.01M
3. The Safety Glasses were off for more than a millisecond (thanks for the breakdown:D), but only when I was writing up results.

However, since I was not the only one discriminated against, and only one girl (who is an obsessive compulsive) got near 100% - I'm not complaining. It gives a fair amount of warning for the trials.
:)

Libbster

HSC
velox said:
could you post some of your tests - ppl who get >95%

Im interested to see the level of difficulty involved.
Here you are velox, especially for you lol I was top with 97% then 90% then 89% so it was a pretty easy test. Note in the first question the answers are all wrong, it should be free radical, initiation, polystyrene ;) Enjoy!

EDIT: Here are the first few bits. If you want the answers to the multiple choice, you can just wait! :p

Last edited:

Libbster

HSC
Ok multiple choice answers are:

1 No answer for reasons above
2 B
3 D
4 C
5 D
6 D
7 A
8 C
9 D
10 D

ENJOY!!!! ;)

physician

HSC
cool, thanks so much Libbster

the question i liked most was 12(a) lol... can we seriously be asked that in the HSC... i know it's a requirement.. but why would they want to test us on that...?

well done on ur terrific result.. i still havn't got my mark back.. neither do i want it...

ur test wasn't all too difficult infact it was leaning towards being easy rather than hard... however it was excellent in relation to the dot points.. and is an excellent test for replenishing and testing ur knolwedge of the dot points...

but overall i think that's a pritty good exam...

Libbster

HSC
Thanks! Yeah 12a was a pretty silly question if you ask me, lol as you can see I was just rambling on. It was a pretty easy test, but a lot of people in our class got in the 60s and 50s!!!!!

Pace_T

HSC
i got 85% for my test
it was a piss hard exam in my opinion, so i am not pissed off at this result
7 mark question on multiple dilutions of a titration. it was extremely difficult.
it was initially 83% but i am going to get an extra mark for a stupid multiple choice incorrect answer :eek:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Preliminary Chemistry Mid Course Examination:
- Fairly easy in terms of questions asked
- On the contrary, marked rather hard with grammar/spelling as one of the marking criteria for a few questions
- Managed a good mark of 84%, came first in the class and I think around top 5 in the grade for that test (Top mark 86%)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Libbster said:
Here you are velox, especially for you lol I was top with 97% then 90% then 89% so it was a pretty easy test. Note in the first question the answers are all wrong, it should be free radical, initiation, polystyrene ;) Enjoy!

EDIT: Here are the first few bits. If you want the answers to the multiple choice, you can just wait! :p
hey so the hexagon thing is a benzene ring?
this is the first question. :)

pals_2005

HSC
i got 62/70; 89% which was top but im ranked 3rd cauz i got 24/25 in our prac which was worth 15% compared to 10% for the exam...

physician

HSC
hahaha @ my half yearly result... It's so bad/shocking it totally kills my aim specified in my sig....

it took my assessment average down by 10% ..... but regardless... now i know just how bad i am at chem... so yeh i guess that's my motivation for doing some solid chem study from now on....

well done on ur results guys... terrific/superb

but watch out u will be competeing against my much improved knolwedge of chem by the time HSC comes....

and we shall return to this very statement once the results come outon the 17th of December...

so study hard from now... if u wish to stand a chance....

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
your on physician

lets get a little bet going

whoever gets the higher mark in the HSC EXAM for chem.... ermm gets...some money!

LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)