Postgrad Med. Attempt into Maxillofacial Surgery. (1 Viewer)

lifequest

HSC
Hello,

I've gained a fair amount of interest for MxFac Surgery. In Australia, I believe that MxFac training requires both the Dentistry and Medicine degree as prereqs.

I guess I will have to attempt to get into Medicine.
Now, my problem is the GPA.
My high school friends are all trashing Biomed sci with kick ass GPAs (even though they study less hours than I do); they all achieve above the required GPA 5.5.

In Dent, I'm struggling to keep my 5.0! Only less than 10% of students actually make it pass the 5.5 (4 students!). We've had over 15% of the initial intake fail during 1st and 2nd year.
From 55 students, third year is down to 42 (or less).

While I do not know for sure that Dent is harder than Biomed, I do know that not all courses have the same difficulty; is this considered by Unis?
Or is the minimum 5.5 SET. Meaning, a science degree requiring an ENTER of 80.00 is just as equally weighted as...Dent which required an ENTER 99.3 (2009).
Again, I'm not arguing that a higher ENTER necessarily means a tougher degree, but in general, it does seem to follow that trend somewhat.

I can't even consider MxFac surgery until I have both degrees in my hand! Bummer.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Correct Med and Dent degrees are prereqs: Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons - Eligibility for 2011
http://www.racds.org/__data/page/833/Information_Sheet_OMS_Training_-_10_for_11_-_New_applicant.pdf

There are a few Dentists doing Med at Griffith and elsewhere. So it's not impossible. But I think most of them have practiced a significant number of years in dentistry before commencing their med and surgical career paths.

For grad med ACER scales up GPAs do 4 becomes 4.5, 5 becomes 5.5, 6 becomes 6.75, 7 stays 7. So this is your new GPA. The GPA required at most grad med courses is around 5.5+. Check out www.pagingdr.proboards61.com to find out the kind of marks required to get into the uni's that interested at attending. You'll also need to sit GAMSAT, interviews etc.

You may want to contact certain medical schools as they just might bend the rules a little bit (prob at JCU, etc), but i think it would have worked better if you had done med first, etc.

anonymous91

HSC
N/A
Correct Med and Dent degrees are prereqs: Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons - Eligibility for 2011
http://www.racds.org/__data/page/833/Information_Sheet_OMS_Training_-_10_for_11_-_New_applicant.pdf

There are a few Dentists doing Med at Griffith and elsewhere. So it's not impossible. But I think most of them have practiced a significant number of years in dentistry before commencing their med and surgical career paths.

For grad med ACER scales up GPAs do 4 becomes 4.5, 5 becomes 5.5, 6 becomes 6.75, 7 stays 7. So this is your new GPA. The GPA required at most grad med courses is around 5.5+. Check out www.pagingdr.proboards61.com to find out the kind of marks required to get into the uni's that interested at attending. You'll also need to sit GAMSAT, interviews etc.

You may want to contact certain medical schools as they just might bend the rules a little bit (prob at JCU, etc), but i think it would have worked better if you had done med first, etc.
on the bright side, doing dent first is 1 year quicker, right? if you want to do maxillofacial surgery, do you still have to sit the GAMSAT and get a killer GPA in your first med/dent degree?

btw, lifequest, what are your thoughts on la trobe dent in 2010? do you think the 2nd/3rd round TER cutoff will rise above 99.5-99.6? the loss of melbourne dentistry is a massive blow and is likely to increase is considerably.

lifequest

HSC
Yeah Dent is only 5 years so it does cut off 1 year from med compared to many unis.

Yes, my thoughts also, even if Post Grad med accepts me, Maxo training won't look at my miserable 5.0-ish GPA in Dent. BAH! I still have to try, maybe I can make up for it with my GAMSAT/Interview (whatever they want...I'll do ANYTHING :spin:).

I think it'll rise to 99.5, but probably not higher. It was 99.3 last year for 2nd/3rd round, first round was a ridiculous 99.7!

Melb unis decision to change to post grad is indeed a killer blow to undergrad dent in VIC. Only 40 places are offered per year, of which about 10 are reserved for rural/transfers.
Actually, I really have no idea, it doesn't seem too unlikely for dent to go above 99.5...

Run off to another state if need be :p

lifequest

HSC
Oh dear, 2nd year already thinking about max fac.
Haha :skip:
My 5 Year Old brother already knows that he wants to be a Dentist (on his own accord!).

It's never too early to know what you want to do later on in life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)