PostGrad Med (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
hii, neva did consider med until undergoing my engineering degree, was just wondering, i got a uai of 65 and when i complete my degree, how hard would it be for me to do postgrad med?

what are the requirements, goals i should be aiming for?

thanks

Last edited:

kloudsurfer

HSC
Well I dont have time to write a long AussieChica style reply, but heres the short version:

If you want to do graduate med, your UAI becomes irrelevant as only your uni marks are used. Most unis require a minimum credit average. You also have to sit the GAMSAT exam which is like the UMAT on steriods (its not like the UMAT at all really). These factors are taken into account to decide whether or not you get an interview. Im not sure about the rest, I know some unis have the gpa as a 'hurdle' and use the gamsat and interview to determine whether or not you get a place, and some unis weighit 1/3 gpa, 1/3 gamsat and 1/3 interview.

Check out http://members.optusnet.com.au/~pagingdr/

It has everything you want to know about grad med.

(Btw is called 'graduate' med not 'postgraduate' med. Just being nitpicky...)

Matt Samson

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Well I dont have time to write a long AussieChica style reply, but heres the short version:

If you want to do graduate med, your UAI becomes irrelevant as only your uni marks are used. Most unis require a minimum credit average. You also have to sit the GAMSAT exam which is like the UMAT on steriods (its not like the UMAT at all really). These factors are taken into account to decide whether or not you get an interview. Im not sure about the rest, I know some unis have the gpa as a 'hurdle' and use the gamsat and interview to determine whether or not you get a place, and some unis weighit 1/3 gpa, 1/3 gamsat and 1/3 interview.

Check out http://members.optusnet.com.au/~pagingdr/

It has everything you want to know about grad med.

(Btw is called 'graduate' med not 'postgraduate' med. Just being nitpicky...)
Would be good to go straight into postgraduate medicine though, become a cosmetic surgeon within a few years!

Matt Samson

HSC
wrxsti said:
hii, neva did consider med until undergoing my engineering degree, was just wondering, i got a uai of 65 and when i complete my degree, how hard would it be for me to do postgrad med?

what are the requirements, goals i should be aiming for?

thanks
I don't do medicine but from what I have heard you should be aiming for a distinction average. As the other person said, a credit average is the minimum, but universities always like people who do a little better than the minimum.

And for those who are not already at university but want to do graduate medicine, this degree could be the one for you: http://www.csu.edu.au/courses/undergraduate/clinical_science/

The top 10 graduates from it each year get an almost automatic place at USyd Graduate Medicine. As for dentistry, the top 10 will also gain entry into USyd Dentistry (20 in total for both programmes). However, soon I think the dentistry deal will finish as CSU is establishing its own school of dentistry.

Last edited:

aussiechica7

HSC
you can also do at least 1 yr of uni and apply to undergraduate med schools as a "non-standard applicant". they use your GPA. (apart from UNSW which uses your UAI for 50% of the academic rank, and UTas which uses your UAI if you've done less than 1.5 years of uni)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)