Postgrad Medicine Entry Advice (1 Viewer)

brighter

HSC
Currently I'm studying Bachelor of Engineering at Deakin University. I want to study Medicine after I complete my Bachelor's degree. Can you people please advice me on the following:

• How good result do I need to have in my Bachelor's to be competitive enough for medicine admission?
  • How is the GAMSAT test? Is it overwhelmingly difficult? What are typical requirements of the unis for this test?
  • Will my undergrad engineering major be a disadvantage when applying for medicine? Also, the fact that I'm studying undergrad in a not-so-prestigious uni, will that be a disadvantage?
  • Which med schools are the easiest to get into in Australia?
  • I'll be 23 when I complete Bachelor's, and 28 by the time I complete MBBS. Is that too old to be a doctor?
Thanks a lot!

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
You need a credit average at least. GPA of 5.0 if you use the 7.0 scale

GAMSAT isn't difficult.

Your undergrad degree isn't a disadvantage as long as you've got the marks. It has been said numerous times on here, but grad med doesn't require you to have a science background or a health backgorund. They're looking for people who have shown an academic aptitude to do an undergrad degree and do well in it, they don't necessarily care what it's in.

Pretty tarded question. Their requirements are all pretty much the same, it just depends where you want to move to do it. USYD might be the hardest, but I'm quite sure the rest are on par. And if you're looking for the "easiest" way in, do you really think medicine is the best option for you?

"So why did you pick UOW?" "Coz it was the easiest to get into :confused:"

28 is not too old to be a doctor, but realise that after your MBBS you still have quite a few years of training. It'll be more like early 30s before you're fully qualified in whatever you choose.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Lol surely there are some postgrad med schools that are "harder" to get into than others. I know that with undergrad med there were definitely some schools that were less competitive than others in terms of entry requirements...like if you suck at interviews or something, you'd find most schools hard to get into except UQ which doesn't require an interview.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I wouldn't think that the degree of hardness varies dramatically, with grad med they are pretty much on par. Obviously some would be more stringent when it came to applications, like USYD, but probably only because of the high volume of applications.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Yeah definitely, the "ease" of entry is just supply VS demand. It's just a matter of how competitive the entry is.

chinaski

HSC
N/A
Lol surely there are some postgrad med schools that are "harder" to get into than others. I know that with undergrad med there were definitely some schools that were less competitive than others in terms of entry requirements...like if you suck at interviews or something, you'd find most schools hard to get into except UQ which doesn't require an interview.
You're correct - the grad schools certainly aren't much of a muchness in so far as entry requirements go. A thumbnail sketch:

Paging Dr - 2008 Entry Offer Criteria

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
i heard ur only allowed to apply to 1 university per year for grad med. is this true? and out of the ppl who get interviews 2 out of 3 get a place? may be completely wrong, but i heard it from a friend who is doing grad med.

brighter

HSC
So which ones do you think is easier to get into?

I'm not asking this because I'm lazy, but because if I miss out once, I'll have to wait a whole year before I can try again, and as a grad, that doesn't sound too nice.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
i would think the unis that are not in the go8 (i.e. not usyd, unsw, monash, UQ, UWA, umelb, Uadel, ANU). altho, i dont think unsw and uadel offers grad med. but if u get a kick ass gamsat and a good gpa, then UQ would be best as they dont do interviews for grads.
but yeh, apart from that, i would suggest playing to ur strengths. that is, if ur good at the interview, go for universities that place a greater emphasis on the interview. or if u have a kick ass gpa, go for ones that have greater weighting for that. same with gamsat. i dont know exactly which ones, but this information isnt too dificult to find.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)