postgraduate medicine (1 Viewer)

HSC
i was wondering what the requirements are for doing postgrad med?
and how easy/difficult it is to get into...

and anything else that might be useful

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
you sit GAMSAT in your penultimate year, and based on GAMSAT score, your WAM and rounds of interview, they take entries as such iirc.

iorlas

HSC
cause its hard to get into! and only unsw and uws offer it... don't know if you're desperate enough to go to uws though... (for med that is... brand new course... they don't even have their building yet apparantly...)

PrettyVacant

HSC
iorlas said:
cause its hard to get into! and only unsw and uws offer it... don't know if you're desperate enough to go to uws though... (for med that is... brand new course... they don't even have their building yet apparantly...)
Nah, UWS has a cool building that will be done by next year!

=P

And plus, postgrad is just as hard to get into.

iorlas

HSC
PrettyVacant said:
And plus, postgrad is just as hard to get into.
shhhh don't ruin my perfect world! i don't want to acknowledge that fact just yet! hehe

HSC
well i would try to get into undergrad, but an interview, umat, application AND uai of 99+...its impossible...for me anyway

but im gonna do nursing at uts, then try to get into post grad at sydney uni...so that way if i dont get in, atleast i have a degree already! and i can always try again the next year

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
parramattitude said:
well i would try to get into undergrad, but an interview, umat, application AND uai of 99+...its impossible...for me anyway

but im gonna do nursing at uts, then try to get into post grad at sydney uni...so that way if i dont get in, atleast i have a degree already! and i can always try again the next year
hey. i'm sucky at interviews, i have no empathy for section 2 of umat, and i would NEVER dream of getting a uai of 99+. But, still i'm trying for medicine. I know that the best uai i can possibly get if i work my absolute hardest from now on is 90-95, but with that uai, i still have a chance, though slight, of getting into undergrad med. So, you should take that chance too. :)

Or, you could try transferring from your uni course into med. That's what i'll try to do if i don't get in. I personally think it would be far easier to try to transfer, because you can try every year, you only need to resit/sit the umat (which, i think, is easier than the gamsat), and with interviews you just need a little confidence practise. The earlier, the better, i reckon.:)

well, whatever you choose, good luck. ^_^

lala2

Banned
HSC
Depending on what postgrad med course you wanna get into, usually the GPA required is a credit. Some interstate schools have just a GPA requirement of pass. And some schools say ok, the GPA requirement is just a hurdle, once you pass that, you are ranked on interview and/or GAMSAT alone, while others rank you on the combination of any two or three of them including GPA.

Then there's GAMSAT. Essay writing, science section (basically first year uni chem and bio, that'll be satisfied if you do any undergrad science course at all, not just straight science, and Year 12 physics), and probably something else I've forgot.

Then there's interview.

veridis

droog
HSC
ffs it's graduate med not postgrad med.
you can't even figure that out but you want to be a doctor? lord help us all.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
ssejamafone said:
hey. i'm sucky at interviews, i have no empathy for section 2 of umat, and i would NEVER dream of getting a uai of 99+. But, still i'm trying for medicine. I know that the best uai i can possibly get if i work my absolute hardest from now on is 90-95, but with that uai, i still have a chance, though slight, of getting into undergrad med. So, you should take that chance too. :)

Or, you could try transferring from your uni course into med. That's what i'll try to do if i don't get in. I personally think it would be far easier to try to transfer, because you can try every year, you only need to resit/sit the umat (which, i think, is easier than the gamsat), and with interviews you just need a little confidence practise. The earlier, the better, i reckon.:)

well, whatever you choose, good luck. ^_^
you won't have a chance getting into undergrad med at usyd with a uai of 90-95

sorry

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
There are no undergrad med at usyd... the closest thing to med is the med prep degree, which isn't really undergrad med either.

Dr.Dan

HSC
Woah
!
im soooo totally confused now , please can someone correct me if i am wrong.
Firstly to get into sydney Uni i thought you can either do Undergraduate which is Umat+Interview+Uai of 95-99 (95 Minimum) . But i read in there "Studying at Sydney University Booklet" that most people get in through doing a bachelors in anyother course and transferring across, if i am right the first course then test to get into medicine after your first bachelor degree is much easier . I.e. Gamsat and watever else you need to do is alot easier than doing that Bach med/Bach Surg straight outta high school or something... PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
Dr.Dan said:
Woah
!
im soooo totally confused now , please can someone correct me if i am wrong.
Firstly to get into sydney Uni i thought you can either do Undergraduate which is Umat+Interview+Uai of 95-99 (95 Minimum) . But i read in there "Studying at Sydney University Booklet" that most people get in through doing a bachelors in anyother course and transferring across, if i am right the first course then test to get into medicine after your first bachelor degree is much easier . I.e. Gamsat and watever else you need to do is alot easier than doing that Bach med/Bach Surg straight outta high school or something... PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Such a late reply but anyway, the course for undergraduate medicine is techniqually postgrad anyhow, it involves getting 99.95, you don't need the UMAT and you're in, but it's science/medicine degree. So you have to do science first b4 u can do medicine.

So it is still postgrad medicine. The only difference is your place is secure and that is pretty good considering the amount of sweat and pain you must endure to make it into medicine.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
WouldbeDoctor said:
but it's science/medicine degree. So you have to do science first b4 u can do medicine.
Or Arts (Adv) (Hons) or Med Sci. There are a few options.
WouldbeDoctor said:
So it is still postgrad medicine. The only difference is your place is secure and that is pretty good considering the amount of sweat and pain you must endure to make it into medicine.
Is there a particular average you have to maintain?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Optophobia said:
I could never do medicine. The thought of cutting into a dead body with a scalpel or even worse - a live one which is under anaesthetic, sends shivers through me.
so u became a scummy copper so u can ruin peoples lives for possessing tiny amounts of dope and bash people in jail

fair call

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
parramattitude said:
i was wondering what the requirements are for doing postgrad med?
and how easy/difficult it is to get into...

and anything else that might be useful
Hello Parramattitude,

All pathways into medicine are competitive. Visit the link provided below to better understand the requirements of students seeking admission into graduate entry MBBS:

http://pagingdr.proboards61.com/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)