postmodern (1 Viewer)

company_sin

HSC
Apparently i'm writing a postmodern story and i just wanted to know is there anything that you people(coz u all sond so much smarter than me) can recomend to read out of the postmodern genre and stories using wacky text types point of view pastiche etc.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Adaptation - movie
Fight Club
Orlando
Go
Memento
Mulholland Drive
Spoonriver Anthology - book
Anything by Frederich Nietzsche probably thus spake zarathustra
Dead White Males - play
Waiting for Goddo (sp?)

thats all i can think from top of my head atm mate

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by AsyLum
Waiting for Goddo (sp?)
Waiting for Godot, by Samuel Beckett.

Perhaps you could consider elements like intertextuality, self-reflexivity, multi-genericism and the occasionally employed device of the 'Unreliable Narrator'? If they're appropriate for your piece of course.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
umm waiting for godot *isn't* post-modern, it's part of the theatrical absurdist movement, it may have *some* elements of post-modernism, but I don't think you can use it as a post-modern text.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by glycerine
umm waiting for godot *isn't* post-modern, it's part of the theatrical absurdist movement, it may have *some* elements of post-modernism, but I don't think you can use it as a post-modern text.

the absurdist movement is basically an offshoot of post-modernism...thats like debating that nietzsche WASNT a postmodernist

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
an offshoot? in what way? in that it developed before pomo ever reared its ugly little head?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
an offshoot? in what way? in that it developed before pomo ever reared its ugly little head?
o_O

isnt the absurdist movement from the existentialists ?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
uh not really, the absurdist movement happened around the modernist movement, it pre-dates post-modernism by about 60-70 years :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
uh not really, the absurdist movement happened around the modernist movement, it pre-dates post-modernism by about 60-70 years :)
o_O existentialist happened around turn of the century, as i recall modernism was happening just after, absurdist such as camous were during and post wwii, the post modernist movement occured post wwii, but nietzsche undoubtedly was the first post modern, in terms of the word, and was around late 1800's...

from what i can remember, but meh

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
well it's kind of iffy, because some modernists had features/ideas that are actually post modern but I asked my mother and she said postmodernism as it's studied in a HSC context counts as mid 20th century onward, and waiting for godot is absurdist not postmodern

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
also, camus was not the father of absurdism. honestly i forget the specifics, but if i remember correctly, the absurdist movement was well underway by the time camus came along

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
yeah such as, im pretty sure that sart and de beauviour(sp?) were more instrumental and central to the movement

yeah i think that the BoS is during the post WWii pomo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)