Postmodernism (1 Viewer)

seeka_train

HSC
I'm having trouble understanding the full concepts behind the Postmodern genre :eek: ... Can anyone just sum it up in a paragraph for me? Thanx :eek:

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
Postmodernism is generally a type of 're-invention' - taking an old idea and re vamping it with a modern twist.

Then again, postmodernism is a style unto itself..... (and it confuses me to no end....luckily I never have to think of it ever again...... *sighs with joy*)

HSC
N/A
This is what I learnt. The "Naughty Corner" (yes, there is a very long and NON-GUTTER explanation) definition of modernism and post-modernism:

Modernism: "They old guys had it all wrong. THIS is the truth of the matter."

Post-Modernism: "There is no truth... there is no stability... let's go around making people's heads spin with texts that exist solely to prove that we cannot believe in anything."

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Here is a postmodern definition of postmodernism:

Postmodernism: ∂ƒ*œ****œçå√
* WgHKkKbHGkjhHhHhhhkLHJkhuipvchgcVJbjhlgB;NKYFDSTFyGhjhlLhHKHJ - (??)

* (CLICK)
Who am I???
(CLICK)

Here is my definition:

Postmodernists: a school of people being devastatingly clever, or devastatingly stoopid?

Postmodernism is a reactionary philosophy which aims to breakdown the older values espoused by modernism. Modernism, for it's part, aimed to breakdown Victorian values. Postmodernism is thus essentially deconstructive - it's notion of the lacking of truth, beauty, and universality have stemmed from it's role as the catalyst for a moral rebellion. I respect the neccesity of questioning our ideas, and of breaking down stale conventions. Yet postmodernism defeats itself in the process of definition. It is essentially flawed; for by stating that no absolute exists, it is affirming an absolute value. It's ideas of fragmentatation, alienation, and relatavism, moreover, serve to disempower us as individuals and as humanity. It forgets the innate power of choice, and the essential desire for what is good and what is beautiful. No postmodernism for me, I'm with the neoplatonists all the way.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
No offense, but thats a pretty inaccurate definition goldendawn.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
I don't want to wade through notes - I did enough of that researching it myself.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
NOTICE : postmodern thought may cause very serious irreversible effects.

what's wrong with golden dawns definition >: i like it

J

jhakka

I'm against postmodernism because of the sheer amount of students who abuse it to grab marks. But maybe because I feel that they have an unfair advantage over those who didn't do that module.

"CLEVER NAME"

HSC
absolution* said:
Has the world gone mad?
Has the world gone postmodern?

I really cant get my head around this stuff, I read it all and i just think "so much said, yet says so little". I find it hard to take it in when it seems to have no real benefit of being read, most things that I read at least have some relevance that I find enriching.

Maybe its just the context of how its explained, if it was put out sounding like a politcal thoery or something I could probably understand it better.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
I think we should all give absolution* a chance. He has, after all, studied Postmodernism in EE1. I would much like to hear his point of view - just as long as he stops referring me to his notes.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Postmodernism... grr, I will rend you limb from limb, pseudo-philosophical abomination!

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Postmodernism... grr, I will rend you limb from limb, pseudo-philosophical abomination!

maths nerd! oh no! someone get him out..

and in response to the previous request, i will answer later, when i have more time and im not so tired :)

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
HAHAHAHAHA

Postmodernism in a paragraph, that's funny :p

(or contradictory... hrm...)

deusexmachina

HSC
You could factor in what you yourself think about postmodernism, but of course, that's just your reading (according to Roland Barthes).

Jean-Francois Lyotard: postmodernism is..."incredulity towards all grand narratives."

Yes, it's as simple as that. I believe that trying to encapsulate postmodernism that easily is absurd - because it's really a blanket statement for a movement that includes deconstructionism, existentialism, French phenomenology, linguistics, semiotics, and philosophy. Or, as my entire class stated again and again when we did speeches on the damn thing: "Postmodernism's really hard to define."

If you treat postmodernism as a destructive force ONLY, you'll get along just fine. Just don't try and see what it puts in place of modernism. Besides, I fundamentally don't believe that postmodernism is a 'rejection of modernism' - I think it's simply a refutation of belief in an absolute. It's like Umberto Eco said (all you 2005 pomo kids take note - good quote coming up) "I have come to view the whole world as an enigma; a harmless enigma that has been made terrible only by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth."

Perhaps in our fragmented, discursively-pluralistic world, postmodernism is simply a more accurate depiction of the true state of events. Then again, perhaps it's damn confused.

deusexmachina

HSC
You could factor in what you yourself think about postmodernism, but of course, that's just your reading (according to Roland Barthes).

Jean-Francois Lyotard: postmodernism is..."incredulity towards all grand narratives."

Yes, it's as simple as that. I believe that trying to encapsulate postmodernism that easily is absurd - because it's really a blanket statement for a movement that includes deconstructionism, existentialism, French phenomenology, linguistics, semiotics, and philosophy. It's not pseudo-philosophical, it's supra-philosopical. Or, as my entire class stated again and again when we did speeches on the damn thing: "Postmodernism's really hard to define."

If you treat postmodernism as a destructive force ONLY, you'll get along just fine. Just don't try and see what it puts in place of modernism. Besides, I fundamentally don't believe that postmodernism is a 'rejection of modernism' - I think it's simply a refutation of belief in an absolute. It's like Umberto Eco said (all you 2005 pomo kids take note - good quote coming up) "I have come to view the whole world as an enigma; a harmless enigma that has been made terrible only by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth."

Perhaps in our fragmented, discursively-pluralistic world, postmodernism is simply a more accurate depiction of the true state of events. Then again, perhaps it's damn confused. And yes, I've found a lot of maths kids just cannae handle postmodernism. It might have something to do with the variability of it. Then again, maybe it just requires a modicum of creativity and individuality to understand - a modicum that maths students just don't have. Ciao!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)