Postmodernism (1 Viewer)

Quilan

HSC
Postmodernist ideas aren't so much the issue that are hard (i think). The underlying belief, or lack thereof, that nothing is immutable is understood.

Being part of generation Y, we are submerged in postmodernism to an endless degree. Children's books, TV commercials, movies all use some form of the dubbed 'postmodern theory'. Referring to an old post (which was hideously and amsuingly flamed) We do live in a postmodern society.
Boudrillard's simulacra has been expressed since the first advertisements came out telling us that 'coke' will help score free chicks and other 'hyper real' notions. That form of advertising is natural to us; we understand that these ads are to create a new 'reality' for us. With globalisation being at a peak, and the huge advent of education, we are brought up with a more accute knowledge of other cultures and history, we understand that what we believe is in fact due to the context, and we see examples our learned histories or foreign countries.

Postmodernsim as a concept is not hard!

However, what i do believe is hard, is the actual putting together of everything into an essay that the board of studies will actually like.

As a 'way of thinking', 'postmodernism' as a theory, as pointed out earlier is in fact contradictory. There is no theory, it is simply a perception of the world that is taken. Even the postmodern 'theorist' accept that what they are saying can and will change.

And aside from all the above verbosity of words,

Is our use of texts for 'actual' analysis, or is it for examples in the ideas of postmodernism? How much of 'techniques' are needed, i.e. does the techniques that for eg. Williamson use have to be pomo, or is the ideas we are allowed to take. Cause, DWM is brilliant in explaining the 'pomo' concept in his play, but in terms of techniques to discuss for pomo, i find it hard to use.

Any insights? Thanks

pomonist

HSC
pomo is the most awesome elective to do, though it is indeed complex in its ideas, as it is a huge philosophical movement.
i really need some notes on pomo, esp any on A.S. Byatt's possession. (a prescribed text)
if anyone has any notes on that, can u plz send it to serzbubbly@hotmail.com, i would soooo appreciate it.
Also, any ideas on how to write good pomo creatives?
My teacher has always said to choose a genre, then write in it, then subvert. im finding that hard >.<

hula girl

HSC
Emma_Kate said:
Yay, other people doing postmodernism!
Argh I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!!! I don't understand why our teachers inflict us with this pain!
Keys said:
hey ppls...im another one of those who HATES pomo...i cant stand it.
i don't understand why people hate postmodernism so much. its not thaaat bad

kloudsurfer

HSC
My school is doing postmodernism. I think its interesting, but it is difficult (especially compared to Crime Fiction! Is it just me, or does that sound that so much easier? Its not even in the same league!). Not the concept itself, but the im finding actually writing an essay about it tricky.

becstrang

HSC
N/A
Can anyone email me some Postmodernism essays on any text esp. AMELIE?

Can anyone email me some Postmodernism essays on any text esp. AMELIE and the YOUNG ONES??

I need some on film texts and/ or video clips and tv shows - but not so much plays and novels.

For this thou shall receive my first born!!

Thanks heaps !!! becstrang@hotmail.com :wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)