Potter's Orlando (1 Viewer)

chloe_o

Okay.
So.
Orlando.
What on earth is the deal? I mean, I understand (kind of) how it relates to post modernism, but the specifics, and particularly the techniques and themes, are a bit beyond me.

Can anyone help?

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
Hey Chloe

Basically Orlando draws upon how women have been supressed and stuff like that throughout history

i can't believe your teacher hasn't given any of this to you!!

anyways, hmmmmmm i don't know where to start-these points will appear at random

orlando starts off as a man then has a sex change, pretty freaky, it kind of offers a contrasting view of men and women throughout history.

orlando as a man is actually played by a woman (tilda swinton)-this suggests to the audience that the man is not "genuine" so to speak

orlando as a woman sees her suppressed by the patriachy and she is described as "nothing"

orlandos intermittent glances at the camera blurrs the boundaries between audience and actor=postmodern

intertextuality with the three poets discussing who a female is

gender role reversal of orlando being sensually active with shalmerdine being passive

film is about androgeny

symbolises struggle of women

disrupts romance formula

supernatural theme=woman living for four hundred years

is this helping?

chloe i might need a bit more time to help you out ok??

you can e-mail me if you like: hot_ice92@hotmail.com

here's some starters anyway

Cheers, Josh

randy

Better angle - try the blurring between genders, you know Orlando's quote after she undergoes the sex change "... same person". Person as being the identity, not male/female. Its by a feminist director, and has certain feminist themes, but is not essentially a feminist movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)