Power and Change Q (1 Viewer)

D.Larie

About the power and change book review we're supposed to do,
We like something like 4 or 5 related texts that we put in our bibliography, right?
Do we have to mention those (at least in passing or Quote) in our review?

What's a book review like?
Do we say how good the book is regarding the topic we've chosen...or how bad it is?
It's relativeness, creditability etc.?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
See the "Bell" site I think it has something about writing an academic book report on it. Basically you need to critically evaluate the argument in the book. It can't just be "this book said this".... it has to be "this book said this, which is helpful in researching X because blah blah blah... this is different to what Y says blah blah"

Yeah.... but don't stress too much.... this assignment is just so that they can help you learn to critically evaluate books and other academic texts. It's all part of the learning process.

Jinglebell

HSC
I was going to post mine but then I can't find it to remember if I did well in it or not...which I think I did, but it was so long ago and I don't want to lead you guys in the wrong direction:p So just look at Soma's, I'm sure it's great!

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Err I was encouraging nothing of the sort, I just put up mine as an example because I know it's pretty hard when you first get to uni to understand what they expect of you.
And even if D.Larie did plagiarise I wouldn't really give a shit and they would never even find out anyway.

D.Larie

lol Okok, "could".

Hey Soma, so you didn't have to mention any of the other sources you put in your bibiliography? We're required to have like 4 relevant sources. Did you?

Thanks! :eek:

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
Soma said:
Err I was encouraging nothing of the sort, I just put up mine as an example because I know it's pretty hard when you first get to uni to understand what they expect of you.
And even if D.Larie did plagiarise I wouldn't really give a shit and they would never even find out anyway.

relax soma im just joking

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
I fully can't remember and I'm not even doing the course anymore, so kind of been trying to blot all traces of communications from my mind.
And thejosiekiller im as relaxed as an amyl sniffer's asshole.
peace.

olay

HSC
and guys, are we meant to put down the price, no. of pgs etc for all of the items in the bibliography???? or just hte one book??

HSC
With the bibliography, what order do you need to put the texts?
Is it book, edited book, book with translation ... {insert all types of book}, journal, magazine, newspaper ...??
Is there an order?
Or is it just alphabetical?

Jinglebell

HSC
Generally your bibliography is alphabetical by author's surname. check out the BELL site for the handy dandy bibliography guide, i recommend printing a copy to keep near your computer because you'll never remember all the formatting right!

That said, that Power and Change assignment is a bit wacky, so I take no responsibility if they want some sort of odd order. But if it isn't otherwise specified, alphabetical is the go.

HSC
hey ppl...
just wondering, is it ok if the academic article is from teh web? Hm, this sounds like a stupid question...but yeah - like this doctor/professor dude wrote it and its from a proper journal, but i just accessed it from the elecronic version. thanks!

D.Larie

They want us to write the call number and the number of pages of the books we use.

Where do we fit those in?
It's so demanding. I'm worried in case I put the call number in the wrong place of the bibliography thing.

HSC
Ha! How did you guys go?

I failed one of the objectives because i didnt use size 12 arial, double spacing and 2cm margins all round.

Tish! Oh well... with these pass/fail subjects, if you fail, can you just resubmit and (technically) not fail?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)