Power Play (1 Viewer)

my english tutor and teacher have specifically told me and emphasised to me that i should not use any of the prescribed texts as related material. my tutor was saying that most markers (including him) dont think much of your response if you do, he said that you can use them but because theyre texts that a lot of people have studied, then you are exdpected to produce a higher standard response. he even extended that to texts i did in year 10 and 11 like the 'road not taken' by robert frost.

you guys are always talking about using texts from other modules as related. i wouldnt, its not like its hard to find good texts or anything. and if youre using a text that the marker is unlikely to know then you can convieniently make minor modifications to them....

KingofthieF

yo my prescribe text is "1984"by George Orwell
relate text is the movie "Red corner" and a photo of German literature conflagration... haha i just did my powerplay essay... feeling so good right now :D

and i think 3 text you won't get enough time to write in detail of each.. probably not a good idea unless you are uncertain about the related text...

boycalledfox

about using related texts that are prescribed for other modules, i don't think it would lower your marks. in fact, our teacher has encouraged us to use brave new world in relation to 1984. if you show an adequet knowledge of the text and relate it well to the primary text, you will get the marks you deserve.
anyway, BNW is not a prescribed text in the representation and text section, so it needs to be analysed for a different purpose than in the syllabus.

Agnes

Wag the Dog- film

Animal Farm- political fable

A Few Good Men- film

PM Bounces Back on Politics of Fear- Hugh Mackay SMH (on john howard and border protection and asylum seekers/ illegal immigrants etc)

Like his life of crime, Gotti's burial will be a family affair- Caroline Overington Sat Herald (on the mafia's power)

still not sure which ones i'll choose to do for the hsc, but our teacher says it's good to have a few related texts to choose from instead of scrambling at the last min to find something. She also says it's not recommended to use texts which are on the prescribed list (for any module) cos it doesn't leave a good impression on the marker- they think (i.e know) you couldn't be bothered and used something that was already there- and you don't want the marker to read your intro and have this negative mentality throughout marking your entire essay just because you used a text on the prescribed list.

ShirLz

i'm doin
- Aristophane's Lysistrita [the play]
- a cartoon from Honi Soit the usyd studen mag - a woman needs pararchy like a fish needs a bicycle
- and a episode from Yes Minister
- n extra backup is a radio interview between Stan Zamneck n some guy on the immigration issue

can anyone c the various formsmy concept of power play has taken? :D Plz tell me u have :p

soz

yeah, our teacher always goes on about 'variety of texts' and i think if you discuss 3 texts your prescribed text 'is the priority' so dont go off on a tangent talking bout your other texts...
but then again if you dont talk enough about them then that'll be just as bad....
i hate english... can't do it

soz

oh yeah and do you think it would be okay if i did a speech by a politician ?- it doesn't really demonstrate power play - just power in general

ShirLz

Originally posted by soz
oh yeah and do you think it would be okay if i did a speech by a politician ?- it doesn't really demonstrate power play - just power in general

well u couldn't u say that as a politican's speech, the purpose of the text/composer would be to influence the responder n thus impose the ideas present in the speech to them...The politican is therefore able to manipulate the perspective of the audience - which is thus an example of power play as the composer is able to use the form of a speech [rhetoric, tone, etc] to manipulate an individual - n then just relate it to your other texts

hope dat makes sense

Rosencrantz

Gattaca, good idea! I wish i'd thought about using it earlier.

Animal Farm (Eric Blair/George Orwell)
Brave New World (Auldous Huxley)
Encounter At Tiber (sp) (Buzz Aldren)

are books i'd reckomend (especially Encounter which features power play most of the way through - towards the end more than before though), Star Wars movies IV-VI are also very good in my opinion.
Other Power Play texts reckomended by teachers (in Tamworth) include:

> Spin City
> West Wing
> The Games
and some more i can't remember.

Can anyone reckomend any more texts though? How about listing some music or movies?

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
I have the best RM i was shocked at howwell i could adapt it to my trial question on powerplay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lolli

I'm using the following sources:

Bullworth: A movie with Warren Beaty and Halle Berry.

Ozymandias - A Poem by Peter Bryce Shelley

Machiavelli - The Prince

Jawbreaker - The movie with Rose McGowan

A Moir cartoon showing Machiavelli's book that is being studied by John Howard or another politician. I gotta check it again.

Lolli

So I can choose which one's would suit the question.

No biggie.

2 of the movies I know off by heart anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)