Powerplay Supplementary Texts (1 Viewer)

souha882002

Hi,

Does anyone know of a really good, and 'EASY TO ANALYSE' supplementary text for powerplay that would go good with 1984 and Robert Brownings 'Porphyria's Lover' and Othello. this is just as an 'incase we get three supps' text, so a visual text or a film would be good.

please reply asap......there's only a few days left..........

P.S if anyone is on the same boat as me and can't find good supps, i highly recommend that u check out Robert Browning's poem 'Porphyria's lover' or 'the last duchess. They go good with 1984. And good luck.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Im so lost in regards to this module... i Havn't even started studying it yet im still working on speeches!

I called the HSC advice line asking for help with supps, the lady was real nice and all, she gave me two texts

the first was a movie (I think) called 'wag the dog', but i don't think i'll be using that as i don't have the time for movies!

the second was a visual text, she suggested i go onto google (images) and type in Hitler or Saddam Hussain (lol... she sounded like she really hated Saddam)... I was like OK, then what?

she told me to analyse the camera angles, colours, facial expression and how the photo/image portrays powerplay, what it says about powerplay and how it says it etc etc...I think that shouldnt be too hard or time consuming!

I guess i'll have to end up using an image of Hitler ro something... and make up some cool info on the spot in the exam regarding how we can see Big Brothers reflection through this picture of an evil dictator or whatever. Choosing to analyse a pictuire of Hitler or Stalin i think will be more convenient as u can make real close connections with George Orwell's 1984 seeing as Big Brother is a reflection of both Stalin and Hitler.

By the way i ckecked out the poem... pritty cool poem, I like it!

oh and another thing, I highly doubt they'll ask for 3 supps. thats going over board, they cant expect us to speak about 3 supps and only use 1 prescribed text otherwise the entire essay will be focused on the supps rather than the prescribed text.

oh and If u do get the chance to reply (because i know ur very busy.. as we all are at this stage), what does Othello say about powerplay? Is it the way Iago manipulates Othello, is it the way the devil whispers to Iago???

one or two sentences will be a great help!

anywas good luck with ur studies and exams!

souha882002

thanx for the info...i think im going to use some sort of picture aswell if Othello starts giving me a hard time ( i havent gone into detail with it yet). Anyways, well with Othello, power manifests itself through the characterisation of Iago who uses his lies to gain control of Othello's conscience. For this use quotes for characterisation and say how they show his powerplay. Remember, the syllabus says that you have to look at the portrayal of powerplay through the relationships of people in your text. So you can use Othello's relationship with desdemona and how he wins her over her own father at the beinning as an example of 'shift in powerplay' and what it reflects about the Elizabethan era and politics of the time........patriarchal society, war etc
Also from Othello's speech at the beginning you will find references to war..that should give you a point or two to talk about.
ummmm, if u use the poem i mentioned earlier, u can link it up with Othello's killing of his wife....thats the only reason im using othello.

hope thats enough info!

physician

HSC
wow! thanks for the insight, that should be more than enough info to get me started...thanks alot!

Im not sure if im gonna use the poem ... if I have to then I will... But yeh thats a good link u've made there with the texts!

who knows, maybe i can get my hands on some newspaper article or something on Saddam and his "oppressive" regime...

well Good luck anywas!

and once again Thank u!

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Modules in one week! *panics*. But really, you'll be fine. They'll most likely ask for two additionals, maybe one if you're lucky. The chances of them asking for three is pretty low (if i had to put a figure on it, i'd say 5%). Anyway, best of luck to everyone! See you all on the other end of the tunnel.

physician

HSC
amoz_lilo said:
we can do shakespeare's Othello? hmm we studied that in year 11 ...
yeh we studeid Othello in yr 11 as well, thats why my tecaher suggested it!

meh! the text is too long, I think i might stick to simple stuff: poem, image/poster, interview, article...

I found this interesting interview with some author who's written a book (or 2) on Saddam's life or something, It gives us an insight into the 'leaders' thoughts and a brief history of his journey (there it is again JOURNEY) to become what he was!

nywas... back to finding the right supp. text...... Good luck

oh and 666 blessings, Tunnel?... what tunnel? I cant see a tunnel??? oh thats right

i decided to take the "Road not taken", i guess we'll see if they both lead to the same exit!!!

hehe... english will be over soon, Can't wait, but until then I will continue to act abnormal!

Good luck ppl

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)