Powerplay Texts (1 Viewer)

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Hey, I have an English assignment and we have to choose 2 other texts of our own that show "powerplay" - I already have one and it's a novel, but I'm kinda stuck for another one, any ideas? I've been told not to do 2 texts of the same type, so probably a movie would be good? But nothing super main stream like Gladiator as half the class chose that, along with Armageddon and Troy...

So any ideas?? Any would be much appreciated :)

Teoh

Powerplay can be seen in anywhere...anything
I'd just go for a piece that you know back to front

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Powerplay -

Master of Puppets - Metallica
Powerslave - Iron Maiden
Basically anything by Fear Factory, Rage Against The Machine, or any other power metal band.

Speeches are great:

Neville Chamberlain vs Adolf Hitler during the "we are at peace" right before adolf invades poland :D
Churchill or Roosevelt is also a good one

Movies:

Shawshank Redemption, although i think thats in another course
Usual Suspects
Battle Royale

Sset561986

I am having the same problem! I need a movie. My teacher said Elizabeth would be perfect but because it is a prescribed text for extention it might be risky using it in hsc exams Another suggestion was Survivor!

jaNetix

i did julius caesar last yr...and related it to 'chicago' the movie

it is the easiest movie to do!! talk heaps abt lighting and angles, coreography, of course the fake characters....it was gold!
and im sure nobody had the points i did....

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
political cartoons are great =) !!! cuz there's not too much to talk about, so u can be in-depth, but there's enough to keep u going. It's hard to find good ones but keep checking the papers.

a good play/movie is the crucible. I did 1984 last year and the texts connected really well; the mass hysteria... the stifling social conditions... top stuff =)

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Well I'm doing Wild Swans, and this documentary on some conflict going on in Tibet, hehe. It's fantastic, the conflict is between 3 people, just like the triumvirate!! However, I know have to find 2 scenes from Antony and Cleopatra and discuss indepth the powerplay, and how it would be performed etc, the only problem is that we haven't finished the book yet, in fact, I don't think we've finished the first act, and I don't want to do a scene that everyone else is doing. Does anyone know of any??

emmo

hey i really need somehelp i have an assessment tomorrow and i need a supplementary text to compare to Antony and Cleopatra... so basically on powerplay i was thinking about the movie Elizabeth but i need somehelp on how it is a Powerplay if any one has any info it will be greatly appreciated
Thanx:)

jono0

powerpost

I'm doing Antony and Cleopatra assesment in two days and need to compare to another powerplay text. i'm thinking of "Triumph of the will" (horrible but great) what do you think??? is propaganda a strong enough link to powerplay - i was think of talking about the composer (i hate this new board of studies lingo!!!) using the medium as a powerplay against the audience as a means of extracting an explicit emotive reaction - HELP!!! does this even work???

enter~space~cap

{Enter-Space-Capsule}
im gonna use 'Hitler - rise of evil' as a text.
Im glad i taped it when it was aired last year.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by enter~space~cap
im gonna use 'Hitler - rise of evil' as a text.
Im glad i taped it when it was aired last year.
Not that this really affects using it as a text, but there were some major historical problems with that film..

One glaring example is the passing of the 'Enabling Act'. In 'Hitler-Rise of Evil', this is depicted as unanimous, when in actuality, while passed by a majority (441-84, I believe) it was voted against by the Social Democrats. This lead to an interesting example of powerplay in the respective ensuing speeches by Otto Weiss and Adolf Hitler.. Doesn't matter in this context, but needed to be pointed out.

A huge variety of texts can be read in terms of power relations.

SharkBait

HSC
jhakka said:
I did The Lion King and Royal Assassin. :p

hey, wots the royal assasin? is it a movie? i would like to do a movie that involves gender/sexual power and those that lack power(both are in a+c). hey, u do Soc&cult? wots your PIP on? are you close to finishing?

gabn

HSC
AsyLum said:
Powerplay -

Master of Puppets - Metallica
Powerslave - Iron Maiden
Basically anything by Fear Factory, Rage Against The Machine, or any other power metal band.
We've been told to avoid music as much as possible becuase unless you do music 1 or 2 and can explain how the chordal structure of 5ths gives the music a sense of power and energy etc... you'll get your arse kicked by poeple which can.

but if you do music it's great because you can make english teachers think your smart by useing alot of musical terms etc....

life4_rent

gabn said:
We've been told to avoid music as much as possible becuase unless you do music 1 or 2 and can explain how the chordal structure of 5ths gives the music a sense of power and energy etc... you'll get your arse kicked by poeple which can.

but if you do music it's great because you can make english teachers think your smart by useing alot of musical terms etc....
oh crap, i was planning to do a song for an additional text for powerplay... cuz its easier to remember quotes from..

other movie texts you could do include 'Mean Girls' and 'Jawbreaker'. typical teen movies, i know.. but they do portray powerplay.. is 'Bring It On' another suitable text for powerplay?

with finding additional texts, you should be careful with which ones you choose. even if a text seems to portray HEAPS of powerplay in it, you should also think about how you're goign to relate it to the prescribed text you're doing.. somethign to think about. =)

gud luck dudes! keep the suggestions coming! =D

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
yulia said:
Well I'm doing Wild Swans, and this documentary on some conflict going on in Tibet, hehe. It's fantastic, the conflict is between 3 people, just like the triumvirate!! However, I know have to find 2 scenes from Antony and Cleopatra and discuss indepth the powerplay, and how it would be performed etc, the only problem is that we haven't finished the book yet, in fact, I don't think we've finished the first act, and I don't want to do a scene that everyone else is doing. Does anyone know of any??
Um can u use wild swans because its on the module B text lists for critical study of texts?

J

jhakka

SharkBait said:
hey, wots the royal assasin? is it a movie? i would like to do a movie that involves gender/sexual power and those that lack power(both are in a+c). hey, u do Soc&cult? wots your PIP on? are you close to finishing?
Royal Assassin is a novel.

All other questions I answered in the PM you sent.

R

randhi

Hey guys!!
for the sup text could you study like the reign of Stalin and still call that your sup text??

jimmik

HSC
jaNetix said:
i did julius caesar last yr...and related it to 'chicago' the movie

it is the easiest movie to do!! talk heaps abt lighting and angles, coreography, of course the fake characters....it was gold!
and im sure nobody had the points i did....
would u happen to hav notes for chicago still lying around somewhere?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
gabn said:

Load of crap.

All you need to know are the lyrical values, and the fact the musics atmosphere changes from one section to another thus emphasising the feeling/themes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)