Prac - decarbonating soft drink (1 Viewer)

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Shaking it involves greater vibration and movement of the molecules which inturn causes heat --> CO<sup>2</sup> escapes.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well if you are going for chemistry, then add HCl it will push the equilibrium far to the left and quickly, just weigh the HCl beforehand.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well there are many ways to do it, including adding salt which allows seed bubbles to form, heating it, shaking it which allows seed bubbles to form, add another acid which pushes the equlibrium to the left, or if you want to make a mess, lower the air pressure to push it to the left (note, lots of water boils) or freezing it since CO<sub>2</sub> solubility is low in ice and remelting.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Not much
0.001mol which would normally bring it to a pH of 3 or possibly half of that, so that should be enough to force out the majority of the CO<sub>2</sub>.

So about 10mL or .1M HCl solution.

You can always put excess in, as long as you know the mass of the HCl you put in just dont put in 5M stuff so you dissolve the can :p

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
but by adding acids, even though uve weighed it (somehow) you are adding an error margin to the practical (above all the other error margins) u can be exactly sure of what mass of hcl u are adding coz, just say ur addign from a beaker, then some HCL will remain in the beaker. So thats sometin to keep mindful of

Slide Away

HSC
Re: Prac - decarbonating soft drink considerations

consider:
that the entire can is not filled with liquid but some gas aswel (lets say 5%) so you have to take that into consideration,
if you heat it you also may want to consider that the can also heats up and cools and may SLIGHTLY change weight,
So you should weigh them when at the same inital and final temperature
Take away the weight of the can (obviouse but you never know)
conversion of C02 in grams to C02 in moles
1 mole of gas at 25 degrees C and 100 kPa occupies 24.8L
Water will evaporate
I think you should heat it up in a beaker filled with water so its heat is spread equal but more importantly to prevent a build up of carbon on the base of the can

Thats all i can think of atm

kloudsurfer

HSC
Re: Prac - decarbonating soft drink considerations

Uh...we just shook the bottle up. (of course, we had to put it in a small bottle so it didnt fizz up and go everywhere lol)

Is that a good method?

OversizeSweater

HSC
hey!
i need to plan an experiment to show the factors that affect a system at equilibrium, and i can only think of this one... i need to know how change in temp, volume, concentration and pressure affect THIS equilibrium. and how do i conduct an experiment to investigate this

can anyone suggest anything?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)