• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Prac test thread (1 Viewer)

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
For those who have biology prac assessments coming up, let's help each other out by posting questions that might come up/things to note etc. Anyone who's already done a prac assessment, please tell us what you were tested on and how you think you went/what you could have done to gain better marks. Cheers :)

oh and here are some things that might help you in the assessment-

The reliability and validity of the experiment-
Reliability basically means the consistency of the results. Validity is whether the method was useful in that it really tested the hypothesis, or whether the measurements you are taking are really caused by the phenomena you are interested in.
Most prac assessments will have questions that ask you to assess the reliability/accuracy/validity of the investigation. To ensure the reliability, make sure the experiment has been performed a few times. Improvements in accuracy can generally be made by taking care in measurement and using better lab equipment. As for validity, make sure your method really tests the variable you're investigating.

How to write a good experimental report-
Remember to include the aim, risk assessment, equipment, method, results, conclusion. Familiarise yourself with the names of different lab equipment. Also, unleash your inner artist during the assessment - 9 times out of 10 they will ask you to draw diagrams!

oops, I've started to rambled on without realising. These are just some things I typed out off the top of my head (so please tell me if I said something wrong), it'll be great if people can add other stuff to the thread.

Cab31

HSC
haha prac test. they are so hard. Our one last year, the highest mark was 29 out of 50. They dont test stuff from the syllabus. They test your ability to use ur knowledge to work out other stuff. haha good luck

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
validity/reliability, risk assessment, suggestion for improvement should be included under the heading discussion

conclusion should refer back to aim/hypothesis

btw melon, nice thread =) xiaoie likes it ^^

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
For those who have biology prac assessments coming up, let's help each other out by posting questions that might come up/things to note etc. Anyone who's already done a prac assessment, please tell us what you were tested on and how you think you went/what you could have done to gain better marks. Cheers :)
Cmon peoples...she's right. Help eachother out - sharing is caring. I have one coming up on Friday...

So what do you do in a prac test? And how do you prepare for something like this?

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
If you have the excel books, specifically the physics one (it is great for this) it has a whole section in the back about proper proceduces and everything you want to know about pracs!

physics book that is, its like a good 30 pages on stuff

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
excel is good for revision... (supposingly, good for reivison of prac as well)

it's never sufficient to attain all u need to know for the hsc... u need a proper text book other th an excel...

jessied

HSC
i did mine last week crappest assessment task and it was worth 30%.. we had to model pasteur's experiment and it didnt work... stupid plastic cheese!!

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
i find the macquarie book quite useful, it has most (if not all) the pracs you need to learn.

however, stick to your class notes, as the teachers are most likely to set something you've done in class as an assessment.

for our assessment we did: the effect of CO2 on the pH of water; monohybrid cross-linking; modelling meiosis and crossing over; determining the size of red blood cells

Cab31

HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
i find the macquarie book quite useful, it has most (if not all) the pracs you need to learn.

however, stick to your class notes, as the teachers are most likely to set something you've done in class as an assessment.

for our assessment we did: the effect of CO2 on the pH of water; monohybrid cross-linking; modelling meiosis and crossing over; determining the size of red blood cells
wow looks like they reused yet another assignment. Wait till u get to communication - the assignment will be exactly the same as last years.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
Cab31 said:
wow looks like they reused yet another assignment. Wait till u get to communication - the assignment will be exactly the same as last years.
really??? :( should have seeked help from last year's students before the assessment!! :p i did so badly, the monohybrid questions were so confusing!

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
jessied said:
i did mine last week crappest assessment task and it was worth 30%.. we had to model pasteur's experiment and it didnt work... stupid plastic cheese!!
Hahaa...serious? Is that all you had to do? Just model the Pasteur thing?

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
the physics excel is the best for experimental procedure

the bio one isn't

K

katie_tully

I've never had a prac test. Ever. ..

We did have an assessment task though, where we had to write up the 8 pracs we'd done for that topic, and funnily enough one of them was in our exam...

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
Cmon guys...I have one tomorrow. A little help please?

So anyone done one before and what did u do in it?

NoOb_ceNtRAL

HSC
heyy!

lets revive this thread!
i hav my bio prac in a week or 2.
apparently its on genetics and search for better health.
anyone have any idea what prac it might be?
did anyone do a prac exam recently?

also how do you prepare for bio pracs?

thanx!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)