Prac test (1 Viewer)

steve_ell

Hey all, i woud just like to know if n e one has n e info on Chem prac tests. i have one commig up and there is a prac from each topic in it. some help needed. dont know what to look over or if ne one has old tests they would b handy.

STEVE

sig

HSC
u can always make an assumption on the most 'important' ones

Production of Materials - Galvanic Cells with Potentials

Acidic Environment - Titration

I made that assumption and both was right in my prac exam...as for doing well it in...just know what your doing (write methods etc.) :)

then again if u assume and guess wrong and didn't study for the others ur more then screwed so you should know them all pretty well (what I did but i focused study on those 2)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Production of Materials: The important pracs in this module are:
* bromine water tests for distinguishing between alkenes and alkanes
* enthalpy of combustion of alcohols
* operation of Galvanic cells
* Sequence of experiments to construct the table of reduction potentials
* fermentation

Acidic Environment: The important pracs in this module are:
* use of indicators to estimate pH of solutions
* use of indicators to illustrate Le Chatelier's Principle
* titration
* use of pH probe for titration curves, and pH's of salt solutions (also possible using indicators)
* esterification
* decarbonating soft drink

Unless a prac assessment is very long, it is unlikely to be measuring an enthalpy of combustion - not impossible, but unlikely. Esterification is extremely unlikely, as it takes too long and few schools have enough equipment for everyone to do reflux simultaneously. Equipment restrictions also make the use of pH probes unlikely. Operation of a Galvanic cell is more a theory question than a prac assessment. So, the most likely candidates for a prac assessment (unless their is a substantial theory component) are:

* a titration - easy to mark, and an important practical skill
* an acid / base prac involving indicators in some way
* ranking half-equations in order of E values
* distinguishing organic compounds by methods such as bromine water tests, solubility, and reaction with sodium carbonate

You should also look through your prac book, to see if you have done any other pracs in these modules that would be quick, require not too much equipment, and the outcome could be easily assessed in some way.

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
As for the Chemical Monitoring and Management topic, a practical test on this module can really only be one thing - identifying cations / anions in unknown solutions. The only other real pracs in this module are determining the sulfate content in fertiliser, which is too long for a test, as the solid needs to dry, and the ones on water quality, and the interesting ones are too involoved for a test. I guess they could get you determine the hardness of a sample of water by titration with buffered EDTA using EBT as indicator, but I wouldn't think it likely.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
We did molar heat of combustion for 2 alkanols in 'Production of Materials'. And I'd say that a titration is the most likely for 'The Acidic Environment'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)