Pracs (1 Viewer)

Maddogg

i havnt been writing out the pracs for this year does anybody know where i can get the pracs from?

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
My teacher has got a really good prac book (a commercial one of course :)). It has properly written explanations and steps for each experiment. Also, it indicates which syllabus dot point they it is referring to and has tables(so you don't have to draw them :)) and questions at the end of each prac. However it would still be rather hard for you to do most of the experiments in there - unless you have a lab at home or you are willing to spend the money or your chem teacher lets you do them. I'm don't know the name/publisher of it... I'll check it for you tomorrow and reply you again okay? Take care and good luck with the HSC :)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
hmm... i was just wondering if you still want to know about that book... since it hasn't got "solutions" and things.. but if you are getting that book i suggest you to get the teacher's version, i haven't had a nice look at the book but it appear to be pretty good... so yeah, oooopps, it's a Heinnman one :) there you go! byyeeee i neeed to go to the ext class now :)

manta

Does anyone know where I can get the Shipwrecks and Salvage Prac results from? Coz they aren't on the HSC online site, and our pracs never worked when we did them...
So if anyone has the pracs and results it would be really helpful! Thanx

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i am writing detailed prac summary right now (since no one wants to give me one)... might posted here when i finish

this is for the first prac:

1.3.2 Identify, plan and perform a first-hand investigation to compare the reactivities of alkenes with the corresponding alkanes in bromine water.

Procedure:
1mL of (Bromine water), a clear orange-brown liquid
Added to 1mL solutions of (cyclohexane) and (cyclohexene) in different test tubes, both clear colourless liquids

Result:
Cyclohexene decolourises the bromine water
Cyclohexane only decolourises the solution after long period of exposure to u.v, light

Conclusion:
CH3CH2CH2CH2CH=CH2 + HOBr → CH3CH2CH2CH2CHOHCH2Br
Alkene is more reactive than Alkane because of its double bond

Justification:
(cyclohexane) and (cyclohexene) were selected because they are both liquid at room temperature
(Bromine water) was selected because its a liquid and it has distinct colour
liquid were necessary in order to observe colour change
only small amounts (1mL) of each substance is used to minimise waste, pollution, and for safety

Safety and risk:
all chemicals used are harmful if ingested or inhaled (and through skin contact)
(cyclohexane) and (cyclohexene) are highly flammable

Safe work practice:
safety glasses
effective ventilation (opening windows)
gloves
remove all sources of ignition from the working area

is it good?

Last edited:

~Dreamer

HSC
yes its good abdo, dont forget that cuclohexane is substitution and is saturated and cyclohexene is unsaturated and undergos addition :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)