Practical Experience (1 Viewer)

Kyroth***

HSC
Ok, I know you are supposed to write practical workshop experience in the essay, but I'm not really sure what. We didn't do very much in my class, either that or I was away that day.
I heard someone say just make it up. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for that? ie, what to put for made up stuff?
Or, if you could tell me what things you guys did, that would be just as good, maybe I could adapt something...
My texts are Seven Stages of Grieving, Gary's House, Our Town, and Sped-the-Plow. Anything related to them would be especially good (in particular the American stuff), but really, I don't mind if its not for my plays. Thanks!

C

Crazy Pomo

Kyroth*** said:
Ok, I know you are supposed to write practical workshop experience in the essay, but I'm not really sure what. We didn't do very much in my class, either that or I was away that day.
I heard someone say just make it up. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for that? ie, what to put for made up stuff?
Or, if you could tell me what things you guys did, that would be just as good, maybe I could adapt something...
My texts are Seven Stages of Grieving, Gary's House, Our Town, and Sped-the-Plow. Anything related to them would be especially good (in particular the American stuff), but really, I don't mind if its not for my plays. Thanks!
Definately make it up. But make it realistic. The syllabus and marking is big on 'experiential learning' in order to understand the link between dramatic elements and techniques, which make the issues and ideas in the texts theatrical.

For seven stages, say something along the lines of...

By physically performing the play, and workshopping the piece, it became apparent to myself and the class that there was a particular pace, rhythm and intonation that was specifically aboriginal, and thus the characterisation was properly realised emphasising the idea of the the aboriginal every woman/man. This adds a universality of experience to the play and an integrity in it performance. (Make sure to mention which scene and which dialogue I guess)

For Gary's House:
The soundscape of the play added to the characterisation in that when workshopping (insert scene) the stage directions prompted the character to be building and hammering in between and during dialogue, which upon doing, we found that in order to be heard, dialogue had to be gruffly yelled, which added a authenticity and naturalism to the setting and characterisation of a play that deals with the relationship between the ideology of the 'Australian Dream' and its link with the built environment, and the reality of the flawed Australian national character.

That was 90% bullshit and I pulled it outta my arse, and you would have to just chuck in a specific scene, instance, or dialogue to justify it, so the above ain't great but it's a start. I'll get back to yas with a bit of Theatre Studies but I have to go and eat.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
perhaps you could say something like "through performing an extract from Act Two of (insert play) we were able to explore the (insert issues/techniques/whatever) that (playwright) highlights in this section." thats a pretty crap example but like expand on it and explain how the way you performed it contributed to your understanding of whatever the plays were about. not having read the plays i cant really say anything more than that.

C

Crazy Pomo

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
perhaps you could say something like "through performing an extract from Act Two of (insert play) we were able to explore the (insert issues/techniques/whatever) that (playwright) highlights in this section." thats a pretty crap example but like expand on it and explain how the way you performed it contributed to your understanding of whatever the plays were about. not having read the plays i cant really say anything more than that.
Nah... pretty sure my ideas were better. Hah jokes. That's what you have to do. It's fairly simple but make sure you do it. Plus, aswell as/ instead of, 'substanciating responses with relevant material from the text' also counts as 'experiential learning' or something that you did personally. Two/Three/One Three Three Seven birds with one stone. Drama rocks my thesbian socks.

Kyroth***

HSC
*Nods* Ok, I think I can do that. :) It's easier with the Australian ones, because we DID actually perform those, it was our half yearly exam. But we weren't given the others until after the GP (and we were late with that), so we didn't do so much.
Thanks for the help!

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Okay, so I'm hanging around just today to help you guys out with last minute questions...

With workshopping experiences, its a way of you showing that you didnt learn this play as a piece of paper, you experienced it. I had one for Running Up A Dress that went along the lines of placing men in female roles to illustrate a lack of male characters... and so on and so forth. Basically its where you can interpret it, its how you decided the play should be and look!!

GOOD LUCK CLASS OF 05

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Will_Sparky said:
Okay, so I'm hanging around just today to help you guys out with last minute questions...

With workshopping experiences, its a way of you showing that you didnt learn this play as a piece of paper, you experienced it. I had one for Running Up A Dress that went along the lines of placing men in female roles to illustrate a lack of male characters... and so on and so forth. Basically its where you can interpret it, its how you decided the play should be and look!!

GOOD LUCK CLASS OF 05
can practical experience include plays that you have actually seen, for example an ameteur performance of mother courage and her children.

because we workshopped some things in class but never really did brechtian or australian performances.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Yeah, although if it's amaetur you could... *cough* steal *cough* the themes and treat them as your own. But I think it should be fine to discuss others' interpretations, as long as they support your argument. No point putting them in unless they're going to support!

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Will_Sparky said:
Yeah, although if it's amaetur you could... *cough* steal *cough* the themes and treat them as your own. But I think it should be fine to discuss others' interpretations, as long as they support your argument. No point putting them in unless they're going to support!
will do...:)
thanks though, i made up some practical experience in my trials and it worked fine.
its nice of you to e-visit bill.

good luck everyone tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)