Practical question (1 Viewer)

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
This prac does not count to my H.S.C, however the concern is me not knowing what this means! Ok, here goes...

Place a piece of iron between the North and South of two separate magnets such that it touches neither. Place paper over the arrangement and sprinkle filings on top. Gently tap the table. draw the pattern.

What does this mean... The instructions are ambiguous.

The following questions go.

(i) explain the results.

(ii) Where might this phenomenon be applied or useful?

Thanks guys.

warto29

HSC
Gday ... it was asking wat the filing would do in a magnetic field ... here are the results if you need them...
a) the iron filings will configure in such away that it flow the flux lines of the magnetic field ( iron is feromagnetic ) ... the paper around the magnet is to stop the iron filings sticking to it ... it take alot of time to get off ...
b) this ability is what compass needles use to point north ( as the earth has it own magnetic field) the compass needle ( made out of iron) turns to point north...
hope i helped

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
warto29 said:
Gday ... it was asking wat the filing would do in a magnetic field ... here are the results if you need them...
a) the iron filings will configure in such away that it flow the flux lines of the magnetic field ( iron is feromagnetic ) ... the paper around the magnet is to stop the iron filings sticking to it ... it take alot of time to get off ...
b) this ability is what compass needles use to point north ( as the earth has it own magnetic field) the compass needle ( made out of iron) turns to point north...
hope i helped
Yes, yes you did and thank you.

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
Actually it is a problem when you supply someone with wrong information, according to my physics teacher...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
WouldbeDoctor said:
Actually it is a problem when you supply someone with wrong information, according to my physics teacher...
It should be your responsibility for accepting someone else's information, whether it's accurate/valid information or not.

warto29

HSC
sorry dude that how i read the question
wat is ur teacher answer...
i would really like to know see tho i thought my one was correct

that the iron filling would align with the flux lines (or magnetic field)
thus showing the north and south pole of the magnet

plz reply

hydrobiont

HSC
N/A
Why is it needed to be place a piece of metal between the magnets?
Does that make any differnce to the magnetic field?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)