• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Practical Wtf? (1 Viewer)

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
in my assessment prac i mentioned reliabiliy a few times, but my teacher said i confused it with validity and got a 0! Although im sure i didnt in one passage!

WHAT DO I DO!

dp624

HSC
Reliability - repeat several times to ensure results are similar
Validity: whether the procedure is correct and would produce scientically correct results

did you confuse them? plz scan/type soltuion here

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Validity also includes controls and variables.

Lukybear

HSC
is there a word list which is avaliable to us commoners??

imoO

HSC
It gets tricky when you first meet it.

There are three things you need to consider, and you will get used it after a while:

RELIABILITY - Do you get reliable results? i.e. minimal stop/start time errors, or minimal measurement errors etc...

ACCURACY - How close is your value from the experiment to the accepted value? For example I got a 9.6 ms^2 in physics for a practical which was trying to determine the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8ms^2. So therefore that experiment was quite accurate.

VALIDITY - Is your experiment correct/appropriate for what your trying to find? Once again, I'll refer to the physics experiment because it's easier to explain. For example, if I am trying to find the acceleration due to gravity, executing an experiment to find the force on an object due to gravity is NOT VALID. YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ACCELERATION, NOT FORCE.

Hope this helps,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)