practice tests (1 Viewer)

superhubert

half way between the gutter and the stars
has everyone done all the practice tests on the notes section? have you noticed all of the dumb mistakes in some of the answers? i think it was the grammer or girls school (figures) that got all the forces on charges in magnetic fields wrong. A pos charge can't experience a force perpendicular to a set of charged plates!!!! did they really mark those papers with those stupid mistakes unnoticed? (typical rich wankers, money can't buy everything.>)

ANYWAYS... what did you guys think of them?

superhubert

sorry, forgot something... in one of the multi choices (ARC?) there was a question, which of the folowing is an inertial frame of reference?
A, a rocket out of fuel in deep space.. or
B, a projectile at it's max hieght.

personally i thought it was b, because theres no horizontal acceleration and vertically all forces cancel each other for an instant.
in the answers it was A.
but doesn't everything in space experience a force. because with the universal gravitation equation it can be shown that you have to travel an infinite distance to fully escape gravitational forces for an object of any mass. so wouldn't a out of fuel rocket still be experiencing minute accelleration no matter where in space?
your thoughts?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
An inertial frame of reference is essentially one in which there is no acceleration.

The projectile will still have gravity acting on it, even at its maximum height, and so is still accelerating = non-inertial.

A spaceship that is out of fuel cannot accelerate, and as it is in deep-space, friction will not cause it to decelerate = inertial.

A is the 'more correct' answer. =P Any gravitational forces would be so small as to be insignificant.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Um... I haven't done some of the tests yet, doing the trials I have at home...
Firstly could you find the exact paper where that pos charge reference cmes from..?
I don't get you, is the force perpendicular to the plates themselves (in that case they WILL experience force)? Or is it perpendicular to the Electric field lines, i.e. parallel to the plates themselves...(in that case physics has been disproven :p)?

This next one isn't in ARC 2002 trials, I've got that here...
In B.... the projectile is still experiencing acceleration down, regardless to the velocity, there is no other force acting on it to cancel it out.
The best answer would then be A, the forces are extremely, extremely miniscule, it's in deep space.

edit: Ooo... laz got there first... :)

kaseita

A pos charge can't experience a force perpendicular to a set of charged plates
yes it does. A positive charge is repelled by the positive plate, and attracted by the negative plate. Thus the force of the electric field between the places, is directed from the positive plate, to the negative plate, for any positive charge, and thus, the force on the positive charge is perpendicular to the charged plates.
maybe your getting electric field mixed up with magnetic? cause you mention that problem after talking about some school mucking up the forces by magnetic fields on charges.

A, a rocket out of fuel in deep space.. or
B, a projectile at it's max hieght.

personally i thought it was b, because theres no horizontal acceleration and vertically all forces cancel each other for an instant.
in the answers it was A.
A projectile only has one force acting on it, gravity. It has an initial force applied to it, by something, but once the projectile has lost contact with it (unless its something like a magnetic gun) then the only force acting on it is gravity. Thus it is accelerating. Though its velocity may be zero at that point in time (max height) it still has acceleration due to gravity, and thus, is still in an accelerated frame of reference.

Whilst its true that any space object has a gravitation field acting upon it (whether it be the galaxy, a planet), since a gravitational field is taken to be infinite, no matter how strong it is, out in deep space, the acceleration is minute. Thus, the acceleration due to gravity, can be taken as zero, since its so small. (deep space meaning that its far away from major gravitational fields/influences). Taking that point of view, the rocket in deep space is in an inertial frame of reference, since the forces acting on it are insignificant. If left there for millions of years perhaps, it would be attracted to some other space object, and there would be a significant amount of force for it to be undergo significant acceleration, but we're not looking at such pedantics.

superhubert

cheers on the projectile one everyone... the pos plate one i've found in the PLC test. q 12 in the multi choice sect. The electron has to experience a force to the pos plate, yet in the answers they reckon its out of the page!!!!. I couldn't find the PLC answers so i don't know if its that specific test, but the question is exactly the same. there's others in tests with similar stupid mistakes. if i've got time i'll try and find 'em....

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Oh, I see... Q12 of the 2001 PLC trials. The question's actually asking for the direction of the magnetic field to make it is that the electron's not being deflected when travelling through.
It's out of page, using the hand rules for the force to be down against the electrical attraction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)