practicing law in the states (1 Viewer)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
so i was wondering what the process was for someone with a bachelor of laws here, to practice law in the states?

now obviously the law system is very different from the states and here.
is there some sort of course you have to do to bridge the gap?

if so, what is it called, how long is it and how much does it cost.

would it be better to become a solicitor here first, then do the course over there?

or does it not matter in the long run, as it's 'attorneys' there, as opposed to 'solicitors, and barristers here'

is there some sort of international recognition for law?

ie. for accounting, the chartered accountants of australia have agreements with other countries that they can just practice there without doing other courses, if they're part of the chartered accountants here

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
okay done some wiki reading

Admission of foreign-educated lawyers

Many states allow some foreign-educated lawyers to take the bar examination. For example:

• New York allows individuals with at least three years of formal education in the common law (such as English or Australian law) to take the bar exam. Individuals with two years of common law training or three years of civil law training may take the bar exam after completing a one-year Master of Laws (LL.M.) program at an American institution.
  • Washington allows individuals admitted "to the practice of law by examination, together with current good standing, in ... any jurisdiction where the common law of England is the basis of its jurisprudence, and active legal experience for at least 3 of the 5 years immediately preceding the filing of the application." See Admission to Practice Rule 3 of the Washington Court Rules
so from this point looks like to move to NY state, take the bar exam there,
then hopefully hope the state i want to live in also have a reciprocal bar association

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
From watching movies and TV you have to pass the Bar exam to practice law in a particular state.

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
so from this point looks like to move to NY state, take the bar exam there,
then hopefully hope the state i want to live in also have a reciprocal bar association
sounds bout right. just live in NY, make the moolah there.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
so after a 5 year double degree, move to the states,
study for the bar, pass the bar,

then practice there?

seems pretty similar to becoming a solicitor here, where after your degree, you have to take the PLT

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
how hard is it to do the PLT? because i've read threads on whirlpool about 'poor' law students that are unable to get the required work experience for the GDLP. Then there are some that are unable to get a job after finishing the GDLP.

Like how hard is it? Honestly?

theism: its going to be pretty tough. I remember after watching American Gangster i was like if Crowey can do it being a hobbo cop i could do it. But its going to be so cut throat there will be so many grads from NYU, Oxbridge Harvard Yale UCBerk etc etc not to mention seasoned big 6 lawyers from Oz who have vast amounts of experience and contacts with firms in the states. Its seriously going to be tough.

Even accounting you'll have to get sponsered by a company to finish your CA. Then you'd have to compete with applicants there.

Best bet will be to work for the big4 or the big6 law firms here for atleast a few years with american industry clients and then try to go on secondments and then transfer there.

from what i understand of the bar exam, i dont think its like only the top 20% or whatever get it,
i think if you get certain marks, then you get it.

http://www.ncbex.org/fileadmin/mediafiles/downloads/Bar_Admissions/2008_Stats.pdf

in New york, 50-75% of applicants passed in 2008

i mean, if i work very hard, then i'm sure ill get in.
if i don't, means i didnt work hard enough

Last edited:

bored at work

HSC
No one is getting employed in this climate.

When the market was good and they were hiring this is what the reps from the US firms were telling me, if you're in a transactional area you can get by with just taking the bar, however if you wan't to be a litigator then the firms will expect you to at least do a LLM in the States.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
No one is getting employed in this climate.

When the market was good and they were hiring this is what the reps from the US firms were telling me, if you're in a transactional area you can get by with just taking the bar, however if you wan't to be a litigator then the firms will expect you to at least do a LLM in the States.

i probably will do a one year masters of law degree in the states.
attorneys in the states from what i understand get paid alot more then the average solicitor here..

and if i were to move to a smaller city, then the costs of living would be much more affordable,and much better than sydney (going by rent, and food prices alone)

i obviously wouldn't be striving for a top tier job in NY.
if i get it, that's brilliant..
but what i would be most likely doing is passing the bar, working at a mid tier or suburban firm in a smaller city, whilst i attain a masters of law (probably part time).
then i will come back to australia, and hopefully work at an international firm (since i'd passed the bar in NY, worked as an attorney in the states, received a masters of law from a university with a good reputation in the united states.. etc)

and by the time i actually get my degree, 5 years would of passed.
hopefully the economic climate would have improved, and of course the end times hasn;t come

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
O America. Land of the Free and the Dreamers. Of BigLaw white shoe firms and US$160K salaries. How I envy thee.

But is all that glitters really gold? The US legal market made the deepest and broadest cuts. Grad offers were deferred. Summer internship programs suspended. Salaries frozen. Bonuses unpaid. First years straddled with US$150-200K law school debt.

I know the OP is not going to the US now; but anyone who does is fucking mad. You will be lost in a sea of unemployed top-15 law school grads. Instead, you'll find yourself with more debt from bar exam prep.

But don't take my word for it. The New York Times did a piece a few days ago. Anybody whose US dreams are not shattered by that article are welcome to read more at Above the Law.

Welcome to post-GFC US, where your Australian LLB ain't worth squat. ;)

Last edited:

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
I've been thinking about going to the states. Still doing a bit of research on it, thanks for the helpful posts on here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)