Practising Scientist (1 Viewer)

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
gather, process, and present information from secondary sources about the work of practising scientists identifying:
  • the variety of chemical occupations
  • a specific chemical occupation for more detailed study
I believe my teacher didn't address this in a comprehensive way, they just told us to research it ourselves. I'm not sure what's the limit on how broad the term "practising scientist" should be.
In the trials there was a question about this and I just stated my chemistry teacher's name :\
I got 0 for it :(

rama_v

HSC
Make one up, just say they perfrom tests for the EPA and use such devices as AAS and the tests for water quality that you learnt in the 3rd topic. or use the one in the Conquering Chem book :D

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
The one from "conquering chemistry book" has this Burham guy (sorry i can't clearly remember full name.. sounds like BurntHam) and it doesn't sound very aussie.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
AntiHyper said:
The one from "conquering chemistry book" has this Burham guy (sorry i can't clearly remember full name.. sounds like BurntHam) and it doesn't sound very aussie.
Everyone uses the CC guy. :p

Just make one up, state his branch of chemistry, and what concept he uses.

For example, an analytical chemist who works at Chemicon, who uses gas-liquid chromatography. :p *Shrugs*

Note: If unsure, stick to Burkham.

Haku

they wouldn;t seriously ask a question like that in the hsc. the damn trials stuffed me up. i made one up and his occupation. But the damn teacher searched for every single one and has to be australian. lost three marks.!

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
AntiHyper said:
gather, process, and present information from secondary sources about the work of practising scientists identifying:
  • the variety of chemical occupations
  • a specific chemical occupation for more detailed study
I believe my teacher didn't address this in a comprehensive way, they just told us to research it ourselves. I'm not sure what's the limit on how broad the term "practising scientist" should be.
In the trials there was a question about this and I just stated my chemistry teacher's name :\
I got 0 for it :(
ohh there was a question in the 2005cssa trial related to this asking to name and describe a specific australian practising scientist so we can't make up anyone, it has to be a known scientist. sucked coz i used that burhan gemolwateva guy and got it wrong..

~GrOoVy~

*cough* hahahhaa *cough*
HSC
can someone tell me if my made up scientist sounds real enuff:D

okay here goes:

the names Martin Jones
-analytical chemist

Works at the mining industry (mining of iron ore)
-checks the waste before discharging it into the environment
-checks the ores and decides if its economically viable to extract the metal
-always looking for new ideas and cheap ways of extracting iron from the ore
-Chemical principle he uses: checks for iron by using AAS

thats all i have so far. So what do u guys think...feel free to add more!

So should i do Martin or just stick Burharm!!!

rama_v

HSC
rnitya_25 said:
ohh there was a question in the 2005cssa trial related to this asking to name and describe a specific australian practising scientist so we can't make up anyone, it has to be a known scientist. sucked coz i used that burhan gemolwateva guy and got it wrong..
thats rubbish, u can make it up, the markers dont possibly know ALL practising scientists in australia lol

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Ghost1788 said:
Fiona Woods????
Australian of the Year 2005....I believe

Developed some spray on skin for burns victims of the Bali bombings....more biology than chem but in all science there is an overlap so .....
That would never work for chem.

Ghost1788

HSC
rnitya_25 said:

Fiona Woods????
Australian of the Year 2005....I believe

Developed some spray on skin for burns victims of the Bali bombings....more biology than chem but in all science there is an overlap so .....

Kyroth***

HSC
Does it have to be an actual person? Because the way we did it, name a scientist meant in very broad terms. In the trials it said name a chemist and the principal they use, and I said "exochemist, use local resources where possible" with a bit more explaination, and I got i think full marks. I'm pretty sure you don't need to worry about a person, just know a specific field of chemistry to write.

punk_tartan

HSC
with the practicing australian scientist.... maria skyllas kazacos. SHe works at the school of chemical engineering at UNSW and she was reponsible for inventing the vanadium redox battery...... shes a practicing scientist

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
~GrOoVy~ said:
can someone tell me if my made up scientist sounds real enuff:D

okay here goes:

the names Martin Jones
-analytical chemist

Works at the mining industry (mining of iron ore)
-checks the waste before discharging it into the environment
-checks the ores and decides if its economically viable to extract the metal
-always looking for new ideas and cheap ways of extracting iron from the ore
-Chemical principle he uses: checks for iron by using AAS

thats all i have so far. So what do u guys think...feel free to add more!

So should i do Martin or just stick Burharm!!!
lol.. stick to Burhan Gemikonakli... what's the point in making one up if one allready exists... Burhan isnt that hard to remember... besides the question in the CSSA paper was kind of a shock...

they won't allocate 1 whole mark in the HSC just for stating his name... meh, who knows...

Im sticking to Burhan, and that's that!!!

oh by the way "GrOoVy" if u r gonna go ahead with Martin Jones... give him a lower profile job... makes it harder to find!!!... (not that i encourage making up a name...lol)

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
Yeah we were told to just make one up with a fake name and all.

We watched a video on wine industry chemists and have been told just to write about what they do etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)