Predictions for 2011 HSC Geography Essay Questions? (1 Viewer)

hyperboy

HSC
What do you all think will be asked as the three essay questions? I've had a look at the past questions and I reckon

The biophysical interactions that lead to diverse ecosystems
Operation of global networks
The impacts of an economic activity

So am i right?

dirtybeat

HSC
My teacher gave us a sheet of every HSC essay question since 2000 for the three topics, I'm looking at it now and it is pretty handy for predicting potential areas they will test on.

The one's you have proposed seem like very reasonable predictions - I have a feeling locational factors might be involved with economic activity as well.....
As for Urban places, there are literally SO many questions they could ask, I don't even know where to start haha.
Ecostystems at risk - I agree with you on the biophysical interactions, they haven't asked that since 2002 so that is very possible, AND it incorporates some prelim knowledge from the biophys interactions unit so thats a bonus for examiners

How are you preparing? I did bio yesterday now I have a whole week to study geo mehhhh

maQ

HSC
N/A
Maybe... you never know especially with this years hsc... I've heard they've been preety screwed up this year with question setting...

I reckon - management strategies, then for urban its a massive toss up but probably UD, and then probably yeh impacts i guess

:)

dirtybeat

HSC
hmmm i agree with you on bos setting unpredictable questions across heaps of subjects this year..
but if that is the case they probably aren't going to ask UD - it has been essentially the same question for the past three years:
08 - critically analyse ONE urban dynamic of change operating in a country town OR suburb
09 - Analyse the impacts of at least TWO urban dynamics operating in a large city in the developed world
10 - Analyse ONE of the urban dynamics of change operating in a cournty town or a suburb

stesloane

HSC
we had an essay question in our trial on biophysical interactions so not sure if they would then put in the HSC.

dirtybeat

HSC
I would argue that trial questions aren't as important as people think... If examiners were to set HSC questions based on every trial exam (remember some schools set their own), they would pretty much rule out every question possible. I remember my teacher saying one year the CSSA question was literally identical to the HSC. Remember also they start writing the paper at the beginning of the year so unless they wait for every trial to be released in August, then go back and change the questions they have already set, it is unlikely anything will changed.

maQ

HSC
N/A
haha fair call... Im not too keen for geography, its my last exam, but i have a double up with physics as well.
But for the extended response im probably going to prepare more for the urban and people and ecc question, i dont really like ecosystems, but ill still read up on it...
it seems that you have to remember soo much more for ecosystems at risk, especially for the case study/(studies)

cheese_cheese

HSC
I would say biological interactions of two case cases, megacities and global economies.

dirtybeat

HSC
it seems that you have to remember soo much more for ecosystems at risk, especially for the case study/(studies)
Ouch double ups are always rough - especially when geo goes from 1:55 till 5:00 (is that even legal? ha) and yeah physics is phun

I reckon I will defs be preparing for people and economic activity essay, it has so much less content than the other two because the questions are all interrelated. all you really need is impacts and BEESTOP (which are so similar) and spatial distribution... the rest are so easy to adapt from these core parts. at least for viticulture and winemaking that's how it is.

I definitely agree with you on that one - ecosystems is the bane of my existance so it does SEEM like more work but when you actually compare it to the others, it is by FAR less content than urban places! even in the textbook Ecosystems = 70 pages, Urban = 160 pages... Urban can have SO many different questions;
megacities - challenges/responses,
world cities - dominance and dependance/spatial distribution/global networks/centres of economic/cultural authority
urban dynamics - a developed city/a suburb or town,
large city in the developed world - culture of place/changing economic character/urban dynamics
where as Ecosystems is pretty much covered by biophysical interactions, management and protection, vulnerability and resillience.

Plus don't shun it completely it because short answer are usually dominated by ecosystems shit...

jessxxxr

HSC
i really hope there's an ecosystem question like on biophysical interactions that lead to diverse ecosystems, but that's the exact question i had in my trial so probably unlikely haha, but i hope for a good ecosystems question, also one on tourism in general or an economic enterprise question, those would be good, i don't like urban dynamics that much, so if they put one of those in, i'm just hoping the other 2 are great. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE, 4 MORE DAYS LEFT!!!

techs

HSC
I've noticed they haven't asked a mega-cities question for a long time...

jessxxxr

HSC
well if they ask about mega cities and the challenges in them that would be awesome!!! lets hope so

s_bilgrami89

HSC
i'd go management strategies/biophysical interactions
world cities/mega cities
something on economic activity not enterprise -> hopefully impacts

also does anyone know how the scaling is for geo? e.g. raw mark to get 85, and raw mark for a band 6?

Last edited:

jessxxxr

HSC
i'd go management strategies/biophysical interactions
world cities/mega cities
something on economic activity not enterprise -> hopefully impacts

also does anyone know how the scaling is for geo? e.g. raw mark to get 85, and raw mark for a band 6?
i really like the sound of these predictions!! i hope they don't have an urban dynamics question ughh i hate that topic and they seem to have done that a lot in the past, so i don't think we'll get one.
and alsoooo, i'm not sure about scaling, but last year only 405 people (8.76%) out of 4621 got a band 6, that scares me reading that! and 1336 people got a band 5

engie_benji

HSC
i recognise how stupid this would sound but for some reason i dont have anything about biophysical interactions in my book. Im not expecting a big essay on the info but would someone maybe just list the main points that you'd talk about for a qu' on biophysical interactions? It'd help out, cheers.

hyperboy

HSC
i recognise how stupid this would sound but for some reason i dont have anything about biophysical interactions in my book. Im not expecting a big essay on the info but would someone maybe just list the main points that you'd talk about for a qu' on biophysical interactions? It'd help out, cheers.
first talk about the four spheres, atmosphere- temperature and rainfall
hydrosphere- water cycle, deserts vs. rainforests, importance of water for life
lithosphere- different soil types creates different ecosystems
biosphere- not really sure bout this but probably predators and how they influence the dynamic/changing ecosystems in terms of what species are around and their behaviour
then way stuff about nutrient cycling or food webs and the importance of these for ecosystem functioning
if you have time, you could also compare two ecosystems and explain why they are different in terms of the spheres

sshannon

HSC
:( :( :( :( urban dynamics or whatever the whole topic is called its SO MUCH STUFF AHH
all i knnow about is Sydney.
As a case study, is Sydney only for urban dynamics?
or is it meant to be what we can talk about as a world city example? also, i'm guessing its the 'a city in the developed world'
and i know shit all bout mega cities, but should i be desperately trying to learn that? for a maybe mega cities question?

ecosystems my favourite!!!!! haha

jessxxxr

HSC
Seriously, after my chem exam, im hoping the three essay question wont strain the remnants of my brain too much... X_X
you only have to do 2 essay questions haha! or are you just talking about the whole three options we get?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)