Predictions for Essays (1 Viewer)

nod089

HSC
Anyone game enough to predict the HSC essays...? Give reasoning

xx

williamc

HSC
One globalisation on either a coutnry other than Aus or on australia, as it wasn't in their last year and maybe labour market policies (for same reason)

But other than that it could be anything...

Last edited:

cheski

HSC
Since the HSC exams are written during the begginning of the year, the questions have a reasonable chance of being based on those issues. Some issues which were major during the beggining of 2007 include carbon emissions and interest rates. Do some research to issues which were hot during these times early in the year, and know them and be aware of them, as chances are the economics exam will be based or involve aspects of them.

Hope that helps, Cheski

nod089

HSC
Thanks william and benny..
yer man, i know your first name cos this is sherry!!!

yeew

nickwilson

HSC
Globalisation case study on a country other than australia i reckon theres a 50 / 50 chance. I hope it is - we've done an in class essay for it plus it was in our half yearly and trial.

williamc

HSC
^ yer, i reckon maybe a bit more than 50%, as last year was the first year they have missed it in like 4-5 years.

And one of the 4 will have soemthing to do with either one or both of the macro, or maybe micro in their attempt to achieve a certain economic objective.

williamc

HSC
Without Wings said:
As i've said in previous years: you can never guess/predict what will be in the exam and what areas the extended responses will focus on.

It's best to know everything as anything from the syllabus could come up, and if it doesn't come up in the extended responses it may come up in the short answer/multiple choice sections.

I've seen many students predict different things in previous years and seen a lot of students disappointed when people's predictions have been inaccurate, so make sure you rely on covering the syllabus and not just someone's prediction. :)
Obviously, but you are better off going into some more depth in areas in which you think will be tested in more depth. Ie. You'd be pretty idiotic, to go in not knowing a relevant case study, in case the globalisation question arises, id even go enough to say, you should have a pre-written globalisation response anyway.

But besides that and a policy question (most probable), it could be ANY dot point.

fakepearls

HSC
Of course, you cant really predict what will be on....
However, most people are tipping globalisation case study and distribution of income.... perhaps external stability

williams180

HSC
watever question is who cares. Just study whole course and go out there and get the Win. No matter what the question is im gonna pick up a 20
Plus u get two choices in economics so thats always good your gonna know atleast one comprehensively

blakegman

HSC
N/A
a policy/policies and how they acheive the government economic objectives

globalisation/impact on developing economies

balance of payments or something CAD related

one of the economic issues other then environment because that was in last years

they would be my 4 guesses, though really, could be anything bar a couple of dot points

vizman

HSC
definitely something on labour market policy given all the recent changes to the workplace relations act etc.

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
nickwilson said:
Globalisation case study on a country other than australia i reckon theres a 50 / 50 chance. I hope it is - we've done an in class essay for it plus it was in our half yearly and trial.
I'm certain a case study question will be in. Apparently last year when they didn't include it a lot of schools/teachers cut sick because they'd spent so much of their class time helping their classes researching and memorising their case studies. So, from the reaction that got I forsee that it would be highly unlikely that they would skip it again. Plus, if it's not on the case study it will be on Australia, or both. Win win.

Conspirocy

HSC
I'd say something that was topical around June or July I think that's when they set the questions.

But for me I think a question on like WTO, IMF EU ASEAN APEC USFAT NAFTA etc etc has been a long time coming

I even think a question on things like environmental problems and externalities main one would be greenhouse gasses and externalities, water supply, pollution etc etc may be an issue

They never ask them, but when they do everyone will be caught out, and the more thorough people who will have even bothered to spend a day writing the essay's in point form will benefit.

I think dont write essays trying to pick the questions - get a whole bunch of questions and think of some of ur own and try to answer them in point form essays

use this format: you need about ten paragraphs

write an intro for it (please use definitions in it, define them and if ur really good throw in some data - also dont forget those key words and what they mean)

then for the rest just use dot points that consist of

- Main point of the paragraph - sometimes its a definition
- an example/explaination of the point you illustrated
- DATA - a fact or figure that is quotable

do that and u spend about 2 hours i rkn u can get through about 5 or 6 essays, and they would make excellent study notes if ur into guessing questions

spythan

HSC
N/A
obviously it is going to be something from topic 4........ microeconomic policy, im looking in your direction

pc4pc

HSC
environmental management & labour market reform like durr like durr

fishy89sg

HSC
pc4pc said:
environmental management & labour market reform like durr like durr
even though environment has been tested last year (off memory) ?

-pari-

HSC
N/A
williamc said:
Obviously, but you are better off going into some more depth in areas in which you think will be tested in more depth. Ie. You'd be pretty idiotic, to go in not knowing a relevant case study, in case the globalisation question arises, id even go enough to say, you should have a pre-written globalisation response anyway.

But besides that and a policy question (most probable), it could be ANY dot point.
unless of course your school covered that with extreme incompetence and while you'll know it roughly, you intend to know everything else backwards so you can choose the other question. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)