• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Preference Of Text Books (1 Viewer)

felixcthecat

HSC
Pubert said:
I bought conquering chemistry and have seen chemistry in context. My school offer chemistry contexts and chemistry pathways, i was told by former students that chemistry pathways is rather shit.

my school uses chemistry context~... there are apparently quite a few mistakes in it tho.. cuz one time we had a fuN open-book test.. and someone copied what the book wrote into the test.. teacher marked it wrong and reviewed the book afterwards saying the book was wrong.. lol.. so we stil couldn't get full marks! besides from that, i think the book is quite good.. but i've dropped chem this yr~

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
I don't think it's necessary for year 11 is it?
yeah probably not as i didn't use one =p. but i have a old excel hsc english textbook from o1` which i found after my prelims in my room. if any of you want it i can give it to you as it has stuff on AOS "change" which i think most of you are doing

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
Excel is really crap for Chemistry in both HSC and Prelim. the new Fourth Edition of Conquering Chem is really good!!!
Physics-Jacaranda
Bio- Heinemann
Maths(general to 4U)- Fitzpatrick, Coroneas, (Excel is also pretty good)
English.... (dunno, anyone know any good books ?)

PS: any one know of some reallyyyyyy goooood English Books for prelim and HSC

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
yep for prelim.

history teachers assosication modern history isn't that good but i have the old copy so im not sure about the new one. and wooz i think your talking about key features of modern history. that`s the best textbook ..
Theres a new history teachers association modern history study guide comming out. The old one was based on the 1999 syllabus i think, yeah i was talking about the book key features of modern history by Dennett.

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Apparently Excel for English isn't very good. I'm not sure if those types of books can help with English anyway. Get it if you can't find anything else, but surely there are better ones out there?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
googled said:
Apparently Excel for English isn't very good. I'm not sure if those types of books can help with English anyway. Get it if you can't find anything else, but surely there are better ones out there?
Private english tutor. :)

yinyin

HSC
N/A
hey wat about business studies, legal and Japanese beginner~
Thanks~
----------
ya private english tutor is really good with note~~~!!!!

P

pLuvia

Japanese Beginners you should have this orange book, but I forgot the name of it lol sorry. I'm not sure if they make it for beginners, but look out for Mirai or Wakatta

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
yinyin said:
hey wat about business studies, legal and Japanese beginner~
Thanks~
----------
ya private english tutor is really good with note~~~!!!!
longman business studies preliminary. the textbook even has colourful pictures and diagrams lol.

subjectiv

HSC
N/A
The 3 unit excel maths textbook sucks. It has good examples but it doesn't explain anything.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
subjectiv said:
The 3 unit excel maths textbook sucks. It has good examples but it doesn't explain anything.
I personally think it's quite good at explaining its examples. It shows almost full working including supplementary triangles and diagrams for clarifying the working. There aren't as many excercises but it's good for reading over to refresh your memory.

conman

HSC
I know Maths text book for 3 Units and also for 4 units. Cambridge is good for Maths, really it challenge u for every question and beside it provides you extension questions.

conman

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Cambridge is very goos but you should do some other questions from other textbooks first before you try to do cambridge. they are quite challenging
Yep. I think so, however Cambridge also provides you best method to solve some particular challenging questions.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Cambridge dosent have that many examples, especially for the harder questions. Also if your into harder questions get Fitzpatrick 2&3U prelim most of the tuition centres use fitzpatrick.

Last edited:

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hey, are there any textbooks out there that have the syllabus dot point and then the corressponding notes? Looking for one for bio and chem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)