• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Preferences (1 Viewer)

gh0stface

HSC
Does the chances of getting into a course change depending on the placement of preferences or the higher UAI?

say if i put down commerce as 1st preference and was not offered a place, and i put down economics as my 2nd preference. Would i have a lesser chance to get into economics than a person who had put it down as first?

thanks

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
gh0stface said:
Does the chances of getting into a course change depending on the placement of preferences or the higher UAI?

say if i put down commerce as 1st preference and was not offered a place, and i put down economics as my 2nd preference. Would i have a lesser chance to get into economics than a person who had put it down as first?

thanks
Not really. Your UAI is all that really counts. If you get above the cutoff for your year in economics, then you're pretty much in. The reason why you have other preferences is so that if you fail in getting your first preference, UAC will then offer you your 2nd preference depending on your UAI. And so on and so on.

kkzz0818

HSC
And whatever you got into, itll be given out into the main round?

Like e.g, if the dude didnt get into commerce (touch wood) and had eco in their second preference and they got higher than the cutoff, then would UAC giv them a letter saying they got into the main round for eco or would the person have to wait till the later round?

Sorry for hijacking but i;m confused too hahahah

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
kkzz0818 said:
And whatever you got into, itll be given out into the main round?

Like e.g, if the dude didnt get into commerce (touch wood) and had eco in their second preference and they got higher than the cutoff, then would UAC giv them a letter saying they got into the main round for eco or would the person have to wait till the later round?

Sorry for hijacking but i;m confused too hahahah
Yea you get the offer for whatever preference cut-off you make first so in that example they would get an offer for eco.

gman03

HSC
The chance of each degree listed on your preference is independent of your order, however, the order crucially affects which ONE being offered.

This is how it works:

Firstly, arrange student's UAC application in decending order of their UAI.
Next, pick the top of the pile.
Check if there are places available for his first preference, if yes, this guy is offered that degree.
If not, do the same thing for his second preference, third preference etc.
Afterwards, pick the next guy on the pile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)