Pregnant (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
withoutaface said:
You have sex, you know there are certain risks involved, but you do it anyway and should be accountable for your own actions. IMO she doesn't deserve EAS, no matter what the BOS may rule.
you always sound like such a spoilt wanker, seriously. 'oh rape isn't THAT bad!' 'its your own fault you're pregnant, live with it'. i personally think she is INCREDIBLY brave to make this decision. pregnancy is a huge physical burden not to mention emotional and mental... and to try and get into medicine all at the same time? she deserves as much help as they're willing to give.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
glycerine said:
you always sound like such a spoilt wanker, seriously. 'oh rape isn't THAT bad!' 'its your own fault you're pregnant, live with it'. i personally think she is INCREDIBLY brave to make this decision. pregnancy is a huge physical burden not to mention emotional and mental... and to try and get into medicine all at the same time? she deserves as much help as they're willing to give.
If she was not willing to support herself and her pregnancy/child, she should not be having sex FULL STOP It is her fault she is pregnant, and she should not be taking assistance from anyone for a problem she created with full knowledge of the possible consequences of her actions.

EDIT: That said I do respect the girl who started this thread, and I don't see her asking for a payout or extra consideration from anyone, it's just those who are trying to push the issue that I am disagreeing with.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think you are quite a mature person, and i commend you on your attitude on not wanting the extra help, i think you understand the accountability with which it comes. I think that those saying "she should be given all the help etc" really fail to realise that in the end it was your choice/decision/responsibility, but i think you understand that very well and again commendations.

envy87

HSC
glycerine said:
but do you really think its best for the child to have a mother who'll be doing stressful medicine for 10 yrs or so?...and yes, grandparents may help, but it does take an enormous toll on the health of grandparents [as numerous studies have shown]...and you can never get all those missed moments back.

IceBreaker

HSC
i have to agree withoutface is correct, not being harsh but it is her responsibility to be accountable, maybe she didnt take enough precaution of contrception, a double up on the condom and pill would have worked.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
She HAS taken responsibility, she hasnt said that she had ever wanted special treatment or otherwise.

sweet_chick said:
Yes i knew the risk that why i started the pill before i started having sex but hey im still pregnant. I think i am being accountable for my actions by having this baby and not taking the easy way out and having an abortion.

My year advisor says i will get special provisions my own room, toilet breaks and extra times but im not sure if i want them. I quite like the atmosphere in the exam hall with everyone around.

I know medicine will be hard and im only applying to 2 uni's for MBBS. If i dont get in from hs im not going to do it or maybe in 10 yrs time. Im also applying for alot of forensic degrees so if i dont get into medicine i want to go to newcastle so ill be close to home. I would like to defer for a year but im not sure if i can in medicine my careers advisor is still looking into it.

I plan to work consistently throughout the year so i stay top of assessments and have summaries and study notes up-to-date and organised. Because i know my exam marks may be slightly lower as i wont have much time to study.

I have already had loads of people tell me i wont be able to do it, that just makes me more determined.

And no pathways wouldnt help i would have no one to look after the baby, well no one i really want anyway.
Please people, read the thread, rather than just individual posts.

It was the others who suggested she get extra benefits on top, so please leave the poor girl be.

rumour

HSC
envy87 said:
but do you really think its best for the child to have a mother who'll be doing stressful medicine for 10 yrs or so?...and yes, grandparents may help, but it does take an enormous toll on the health of grandparents [as numerous studies have shown]...and you can never get all those missed moments back.
Hello!
Just because she is going to do medicine, doesn't mean she won't have any freetime!!!!

Also she didn't get in this situation all by her self!

There is a male involved!!!!!!!!!!!

And from the way she has talked about him in her posts, it does seem that he is willing to take care of the baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And maybe she has other family members willing to help her out?

Last edited:

Igor

HSC
N/A
pfft all you people bagging this brave and wonderful girl out - SHUT UP.

goddamnit.
pregnancy happens. it's pretty much what the female body is designed for.
I have a friend who is into her second trimester now and she's determined to keep at the HSC. I might get her on here to have a blog.

children are wonderful, amazing creatures in our lives, and anyone privelaged to become a parent deserves our respect and admiration (unless they mistreat their children, in which case they need help).
i come from a BIG family, and as an extended family we're very close. I've had cousins become parents in high school and uni and still continue on and do very well. althought the study and work hours weren't very nice, my cousins all had healthy relationships with their young kids, and I was lucky enough to baby sit regularly.
if there is enough love, care and patients, it doesn't matter how long your hours are, or how hard it becomes. your child will always be there and will always love you.

sarevok

HSC
"If she was not willing to support herself and her pregnancy/child, she should not be having sex FULL STOP It is her fault she is pregnant, and she should not be taking assistance from anyone for a problem she created with full knowledge of the possible consequences of her actions."

When people are young they can make mistakes and do stupid things and should be forgiven for this. If she wants extra benefits I think she should have them, though I applaud her for not taking them.

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
AsyLum said:
Are the lot of you fucking stupid or just unable to read?

There is no cry for "oh i had sex, im pregnant, its not my fault though"

The girl has said, she knows it was her fault, her decision which ultimately led to this, and that her family, her boyfriend and she is more aware of it than anyone, that it is her responsibility, so can we stop this debate and get out of the thread?!

If you want to debate whether pregnant people should recieve entitlements and benefits during the hsc, go start one, this was not the original intention of the person who started it, and im sure the abuse copped in here is unjustly sprouted out.
Good call!!!! those that are saying that 'this girl should NOT be having sex' are most probably having sex themselves. Fact of the matter is that mistakes DO happen and for crying out loud either give this girl sum advice & support or shut up!! And before you say anything & blow my head off I have given this girl support and commended her for the mature approach she has taken towards this adult situation

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I know a girl who got pregnant, finished off her hsc... She finished it off, got a decent uai (since she got bonus points, and alot of help from the school) but in the end she couldn't do it, she just had to spend time with her kid.

Danoz The Great

HSC
natstar said:
Why dont we just leave the girl alone, and let her do what she wants. Its nice to hear that omeone is still going on with her dreams/ambitions, despite being pregnant. Ive heard so many stories of young girls dropping out of school becuase they are pregnant. If she has full support from everyone around her, then she should go for it. She can still be a responsible and loving mother, as well as studing- there is no point, and you have no right judging her on whether she is able to be responsible or loving to her child, becuase well, you dont know her
I see no reason why she shouldent be given consideration in the HSC. She would be under a considerable physical, emotional and mental burden. The way some people are talking, seems like your saying its a crime to be pregnant.
Its kinda like, when a woman has to go on paid maturnity leave at work when she has a baby. Shes aware of the risk, so why should she be paid when shes not working? However this is anpther debate I dont want to get into.
Swwet Chick- Good luck with your HSC and I hope you get whatever you wish for.

Omg amen to that. My 'grandmother' (we don't call her that, it upsets her) did the HSC when pregnant with my mother. She's hell glad she kept with it.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
sweet_chick said:
Yes i knew the risk that why i started the pill before i started having sex but hey im still pregnant. I think i am being accountable for my actions by having this baby and not taking the easy way out and having an abortion.

My year advisor says i will get special provisions my own room, toilet breaks and extra times but im not sure if i want them. I quite like the atmosphere in the exam hall with everyone around.

I know medicine will be hard and im only applying to 2 uni's for MBBS. If i dont get in from hs im not going to do it or maybe in 10 yrs time. Im also applying for alot of forensic degrees so if i dont get into medicine i want to go to newcastle so ill be close to home. I would like to defer for a year but im not sure if i can in medicine my careers advisor is still looking into it.

I plan to work consistently throughout the year so i stay top of assessments and have summaries and study notes up-to-date and organised. Because i know my exam marks may be slightly lower as i wont have much time to study.

I have already had loads of people tell me i wont be able to do it, that just makes me more determined.

And no pathways wouldnt help i would have no one to look after the baby, well no one i really want anyway.
Good on u for not having an abortion, u are doing the right thing, i believe ur taking accountability for ur actions, good on ya

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
I chose not to keep the child, which is part of why I admire this girl so much... being pregnant is not easy.q
I admire her for that as well, and even more so for not asking for special consideration but that isn't the point.

no matter how she got there, pregnancy is a disadvantage to her ability to focus on her HSC.
I agree that pregnancy would be somewhat of a disadvantage for her(from now on lets just focus on pregnant women in general as it is more relevant). However, you simply do not know how someone will perform in an external examination unless they actually sit for it, under the same conditions as everyone else. Why? Because there are so many variables - people's tolerance to heat/cold, distractions outside, the types of questions on the actual paper, state of mind of the student etc. So seeing as there are so many strains on the body as you pointed out, rather than apply for special consideration, why not take a year off and then complete the HSC and earn the marks and places in courses?

Edit: Ok I'll leave it at that. I assume that others will too. If not then PM me.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
Honestly, the girl asked for advice and maybe guidence from someone who was in her situation, and now shes being hit with negative comment and criticism.
While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, is it really necessary to slam her choices of wanting to keep the baby AND wanting to continue studying?? It isn't a crime.
I don't sweet_chick at all, but I support her decision and think it is brave for her to still want to continue studying and not give up a)her child and b)her dreams.
So really people, the general criticism and negative comment is unnecessary. Try and support her decision instead of letting her think she is making a mistake. After all, she is confident and motivated enough. That's is exactly what she needs to make everything possible.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
sweet_chick said:
I'm 10 weeks pregnant and in yr 12. I am still determined to finnish and get into medicine at uni. Just wondering if anyone was in my position?
This was the original post.

sweet_chick said:

This was her post illustrating the point that she knows she is accountable for her actions and wishes for no special privileges to come from it.

Could we stay on topic from now on - any discussion to do with EAS should be started in another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicomed

sweet_chick, great to see that u have HEART. Dont giv up, dont drop out, and do your best in the HSC!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)