Prelim 2015 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Can you tell me something interesting about Economics that might be useful to daily life? Just curious

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
i thought indians are asians, or has my life been a lie
lol nah, depends what context. I generally refer to asians as chinese, viet, korean etc. and then refer to curries as indians, sri lankans, paki's etc.

P.S NOT RACIST, im curry as well lol

Drsoccerball

HSC
Making maths compulsory is a reasonable thing to do ideally, but considering how poor our maths education is at the moment; especially with the shockingly poor syllabus and terrible quality of teachers; it's not the best idea to force students to do maths in year 11 and 12 yet.
Replace every "Maths" in that sentence to "English" and it would make more sense ahha

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Replace every "Maths" in that sentence to "English" and it would make more sense ahha
That's also true lol

But remember that English is the sole benchmark for scaling and it makes sense, despite being a dodgy subject

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
since english is already dodgey af, why not make maths as the sole benchmark for scaling
This is where the suggestion is flawed

Because if you make maths count to your ATAR, that severely disadvantages those who aren't inclined at maths themselves. Think about it - the best scaling subjects are the maths and science and the crappy scaling subjects are things like visual arts, dance and music, etc. What happens when a student who's good at humanities and they suck at maths but still has to take it? They get screwed over and basically the ones who are more logically inclined get the great ATAR's which is obviously very unfair. That is why English has to count to your ATAR because it means that there's less bias for the maths and science people and gives the humanities people an equal chance of attaining a good ATAR.

Essentially, the more academically able in general do maths and science and they scale better for that reason and then the rest who aren't as academic tend to do the humanities - harsh truth.

Yeah, English is a dodgy subject but frankly for what I've said above, it has to be the one that is the scaling benchmark.

Drsoccerball

HSC

Because if you make maths count to your ATAR, that severely disadvantages those who aren't inclined at maths themselves. Think about it - the best scaling subjects are the maths and science and the crappy scaling subjects are things like visual arts, dance and music, etc. What happens when a student who's good at humanities and they suck at maths but still has to take it? They get screwed over and basically the ones who are more logically inclined get the great ATAR's which is obviously very unfair. That is why English has to count to your ATAR because it means that there's less bias for the maths and science people and gives the humanities people an equal chance of attaining a good ATAR.

Essentially, the more academically able in general do maths and science and they scale better for that reason and then the rest who aren't as academic tend to do the humanities - harsh truth.

Yeah, English is a dodgy subject but frankly for what I've said above, it has to be the one that is the scaling benchmark.
I feel the same way for English im not inclined to do good in English because my brain doesnt see the flamboyant sides of things. So why do i get disadvantaged?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I feel the same way for English im not inclined to do good in English because my brain doesnt see the flamboyant sides of things. So why do i get disadvantaged?
Fair call ... But English teaches and gives you transferable writing skills that assists you a lot in university, it is also the national language.

You'll appreciate this when you enter uni and need to write 2000 and 2500 word essays

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
tbh, the whole hype about how english is hard is just that, hype
It's not that difficult of a subject if you actually try to understand the concepts and practice the skills necessary, and this is coming from a very maths/science biased person.
Only recently did i actually stop despising it and actually attempt to do good at it and have come to appreciate it a whole lot more. Yeah there are those people who are ESL and probably struggle with it a whole lot more but i think majority of students can actually do well if they just try. Plus, the critical thinking skills are transferable to almost all other subjects, apart from maths obviously, and so it is quite a beneficial subject. Even science subjects require critical thinking to answer extended responses
But yeah i get it, easier said than done :/

SammyT123

HSC

I understand what your trying to say, but your logic is flawed.

The sciences or maths subjects only scale a lot more because students do not perform as well in them when compared to the benchmark (I.e English )

Yes, students tend to perform well in different areas, but frankly with such a large sample size, it becomes very evident that 4U math is harder than , let say VA.

The humanities would scale higher if they were harder. Each individual's talents/preferences can almost be completely ignored when considering scaling of the whole cohort.

English as a benchmark is fine in that sense (scaling), but it's a dodgy subject (very subjective)

Maths is simply black and white . Right or wrong. Yes, lots of people hate maths, but lots of people hate English as well. Therefore maths IF YOU AGREE ENGLISH IS DODGY, maths is a better benchmark

Otherwise, it doesn't matter :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ambility

HSC
I understand what your trying to say, but your logic is flawed.

The sciences or maths subjects only scale a lot more because students do not perform as well in them when compared to the benchmark (I.e English )

Yes, students tend to perform well in different areas, but frankly with such a large sample size, it becomes very evident that 4U math is harder than , let say VA.

The humanities would scale higher if they were harder. Each individual's talents/preferences can almost be completely ignored when considering scaling of the whole cohort.

English as a benchmark is fine in that sense (scaling), but it's a dodgy subject (very subjective)

Maths is simply black and white . Right or wrong. Yes, lots of people hate maths, but lots of people hate English as well. Therefore maths IF YOU AGREE ENGLISH IS DODGY, maths is a better benchmark

Otherwise, it doesn't matter :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is english a dodgy subject? How is it subjective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)