• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

prelim. assign.: perform a first hand investigation to show variation in at least tw (1 Viewer)

jannyh182

HSC
"perform a first hand investigation to show variation in at least two species of a living organism"...

any ideas on what to do would be really helpful...

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Re: bio. prelim. assign.: perform a first hand investigation to show variation in at leas

Might try looking for insects or animals in the backyard. The best would be plants i.e. more specifically, flowers.

Try getting a microscope and observe and record the variations in appearance etc and adaptations. Then compare and contrast.

jannyh182

HSC
Re: bio. prelim. assign.: perform a first hand investigation to show variation in at

i dont really get what to do... do i just look for similarities and differences (they seem too obvious eg. snail and caterpillar...hmm one has legs one doesnt, one has a shell the other doesnt...they're both disgusting)

:confused:

cccclaire

HSC
Re: bio. prelim. assign.: perform a first hand investigation to show variation in at leas

which module of bio is this in?

jannyh182

HSC
Re: bio. prelim. assign.: perform a first hand investigation to show variation in at

haha tamara u make me smile

...about the module... i have no idea, and i dont have access to a microscoope, not that i'd know what to do with it...
when we first got the assignment i asked the teacher to explain it and he said to do something like a cat and dog... but when i saw the marking criteria it went like:

Named, suitable species 1mk
Named, suitable characteristics 1mk
Method-suitable format 2mk
Method- suitable content 2mk
Method- large numbers 1mk
Method- quantitive details 2mk
Results- table 4mk
Results- graph 4mk
Conclusion- 1mk

so i asked him what it meant by large numbers and quantitive details, and what results I'm graphing and tabulating... his answer "when you start you'll know what to do" he said I'll find out what it relates to when he gives us the syllabus next term
WTF HOW CAN I START IF I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

stupid teacher *stab him in the eye*

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Large numbers- You observe large numbers of your chosen species to record the variations. Large numbers means increased accuracy and reliability.

Quantitive details: I'm guessing you;d be using quadrats or something on the lines of that. Make sure you put lots of details of what you're going to do in your method, especially with your numbers and calculations.

cccclaire

HSC

Well I found it in the evolution section of the syllabus. So I assume the point of it is to show that variation occurs in species that allows natural selection to occur.
Did he say that you had to use animals, because plants would be a lot easier to use. It's pretty difficult to get quantative measurements for animals, plus you don't have a large number of them.

If I were you I'd choose two species and for each one find something that varies within each species. When it says quantative i think it means you need actual measurements rather than observations. And then find a large number of it and measure each one and put it in a table.
I'd probably do something like length of stem for one species and maybe something like size of leaves for the other.
And you should hopefully get a large spread of variation within each one.

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Use flowers!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
That's a strange task..

I think you can consider variation in different ways - genotypic variations and phenotypic variations. As to how you can perform a first hand investigation to examine this, it may be possible to describe the phenotypic variations for two species within a genus. For genotypes, obvious you need to look at different allelic differences or the genomic sequences themselves and compare the differences. I think you should ask your teacher to further clarify what he/she wants you to do. It's too broad.

jannyh182

HSC
Re: prelim. assign.: perform a first hand investigation to show variation in at least

Survivor39 said:
That's a strange task..

I think you can consider variation in different ways - genotypic variations and phenotypic variations. As to how you can perform a first hand investigation to examine this, it may be possible to describe the phenotypic variations for two species within a genus. For genotypes, obvious you need to look at different allelic differences or the genomic sequences themselves and compare the differences. I think you should ask your teacher to further clarify what he/she wants you to do. It's too broad.

... i really have no idea what half the words that you've used mean, i guess i'll just ask the teacher, though its due first friday back

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Re: prelim. assign.: perform a first hand investigation to show variation in at least

Sorry.. I didn't realise that you are only a Year 11.

In biological sciences, when you say something is different to something else, you can actually mean that A is different to B because A and B looks different (phenotypic differences), or you can say that the genetic make-up are different (genotypic differences). Sometimes when two things looks similar, their genetic make-ups can be very different, and vice versa.

When considering variations of two speices, you can describe the physical characteristic (phenotypic) differences of two different species for your first hand investigation, and you can also describe their genetic dfifferences by looking at their DNA.

jannyh182

HSC

ok thanx, i'll probably use those words...make me sound smart

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)