Prelim Ext 1 English - Appropriations (1 Viewer)

Fly Kite

HSC
for 3u eng, we are doing appropriations and im really really lost on what the concept of appropriations.
i kinda know its an idea ripped from a text to be placed within another, but that understanding is not enough really to write assessment tasks on about appropriations.
help plox!

LordPc

HSC
Re: drowning in 3u eng

appropriate is just using many ideas of other texts to form a new text. (its a stupid topic as basically it means that anything you or anybody writes is not original anymore because someone before you had a similar idea, so your work is an appropriation.)

dont confuse it with transformation, which is where one text directly inspires another. for example shakespeares romeo and juliet directly inspired romeo + juliet (that one with dicaprio)

so basically in essays you want to talk about how one text is being appropriated from others and stuff like that.

even if you fail completely, dw about it too much. the good thing about 3u english is that hsc year is unrelated to prelim, so you can do badly and still ace hsc 3u.

h3ll h0und

HSC
Re: drowning in 3u eng

umm for our most recent assessment task we have to compare and contrast the fairy tale Cinderella by charles Perrault to an appropriated version (A cinderela story- film ) . My teacher basically told me i can talk about different mediums of production (perraults cinderella was written and cinderella story is a film), subversions of archetypes and preserving archetypes (universal archetypes and why they are universal) and relate it to context and use CONCEPT QUOTE TECHNIQUE EFFECT . hope this helpd

Fly Kite

HSC
im doing Wide Sargasso Sea (novel) and After Mrs Rochester (play)
the latter is practically unheard of.
(^hi!)

M

midnightpen

HI :) lol
hm i thought all the classes were doing emma/clueless o_O
i've never heard of your texts ^^"

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Maybe also look at how the values of the text have changed/remained the same. Context is important too, as has been said, and so is the intended audience of the original vs. the appropriation. You can talk about the textual value of the appropriated version and what, if anything, it adds to the original work.

We did appropriation last year with Nineteen Eighty-Four and V For Vendetta and I think I've still got notes on the concepts associated with appropriation if you're looking for any additional info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)