• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Prelim Measurement Q - Concentrations (1 Viewer)

dim987654321

HSC
Ok so this is a Prelim Measurement question. If someone can help me out on the process/steps and solution that would be soo good.

"Your vet has recommended a vitamin supplement, for your sick guinea pigs, at the rate of
10 g per litre in their drinking water. From the chemist you can obtain the vitamin
supplement in solution and the label states ‘240 g/300 mL’. How many mL of the solution​
should you add to the guinea pigs’ 500 mL water bottle?

Makdadddy

makdaddy.net
HSC
Ok so this is a Prelim Measurement question. If someone can help me out on the process/steps and solution that would be soo good.

"Your vet has recommended a vitamin supplement, for your sick guinea pigs, at the rate of
10 g per litre in their drinking water. From the chemist you can obtain the vitamin
supplement in solution and the label states ‘240 g/300 mL’. How many mL of the solution​
Hey champ,
Here's what I did, hope I'm right :haha:

So for every 300mL, there is 240g of supplement.
300/240 = 1.25
This means, for every 1.25mL you put in, you get 1 gram of supplement. Since your water bottle is 500mL, you need 5g of supplement.
5 * 1.25 = 6.25
Therefore, you need to pour in 6.25mL into the water bottle.

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A

Another way you can think of it is like this:
10g per litre = 10 grams per 1000mL, so if you only have 500mL in the water bottle, you'll need 5 grams.

The medicine is already diluted, you have 240g/300mL, this is equal to having 1g/1.25mL (divide the numerator and denominator by 240 to get this fraction).

You need to have 5 grams of the medicine, so you need 5 x 1g/1.25mL, so you'll need 6.25mL of the solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)