Prelim Physics Thread (1 Viewer)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Can anyone tell me what I need to know for the HSC course, as in what carries over from Prelim?
If you could give me a thorough range of topics and important ideas that'd be great!
Thanks
Literally most of moving about (if not all), at least half of electrical energy in the home, some World communicates (unsure of what exactly) and some cosmic engine (for either astrophysics or quanta to quarks)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Can anyone tell me what I need to know for the HSC course, as in what carries over from Prelim?
If you could give me a thorough range of topics and important ideas that'd be great!
Thanks
Pretty much nothing

kashkow

HSC
Thanks
Literally most of moving about (if not all), at least half of electrical energy in the home, some World communicates (unsure of what exactly) and some cosmic engine (for either astrophysics or quanta to quarks)
Bruh, pretty much none of these "topics" are actually carried over; There are a few concepts you need to know, but not whole topics or even whole parts of topics (with perhaps one exception; electromagnetism)... However, if you are working with the jacaranda textbook it covers, in review, pretty much all the topics needed for HSC including electromagnetism. AFAIK the prelim content isn't tested at all in the HSC either; so you won't be getting q's like how to add resistance in a parallel circuit. pikachu is right, basically nothing's carried over save some formula's such as F=MA and concepts as listed below. (P.S. I don't do Astro or Q2Q tho, so can't speak for those soz)

That said, to answer your question dragon658, it wouldn't be unhelpful to know some of the prelim concepts to help you not be thrown in the deep end in year 12. These would be:
- Electromagnetism, important (although as mentioned before, if you are studying with the jacaranda textbook there is like 3 pages review of all you need to know)
- Electromagnetic spectrum
- Newton's 3 laws of motion
- Kepler's laws
- Newton's gravitational formula (this is one thing that IS carried over, but it is covered anyway in jacaranda)
- Centripetal force (important used quite a bit in HSC)
- Conservation of energy
- Earth revolves around the sun (duh)

Ehm that's probably it... Feel free to add anyone if they think of any other concepts... Again I will say that these are concepts or ideas that you should be familiar with by the end of prelim, though most of them are outlined/reviewed in the jacaranda textbook as review. I wouldn't worry about any yr 11 calculation questions (unless you suck at maths and need to practice some basic substitution or formula use :p). Also don't worry about the history of like the heliocentric model etc... unless u find interest in it.

Note: I used the jacaranda textbook and lots of the prelim stuff that is needed for the HSC is outlined anyway in that book in year 12. Idk what textbook you are using to study so maybe you would want to revise the concepts listed above thoroughly or see if someone else who has done the textbook you are using can give u further advice. Also find out what option you are doing next year if possible and see if there are any relevant prelim concepts for those.

Overall, don't stress too much about the prelim topics. Do you need to know the concepts above before starting year 12? Probably not (if you're doing the jacaranda textbook). Will those concepts help in year 12? Probably. HAVE FUN!! :)

Last edited:

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks
Main things IMO

World Communicates:
Wave Equation
EM Spectrum (order and relative wavelengths)
Inverse Square Law

Electrical Energy
Electric Fields
Ohms Law
Power
Magnetic Fields

Moving About
Speed/Acceleration
Vectors
N2L
Centripetal Acceleraton/Force
Weight/Mass
Kinetic Energy
Work
Law of Conservation of Energy
Momentum

Cosmic Engine:
Equivalence between mass and energy
Black Body Radiation
Alpha/Beta/Gamma Radiation

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Main things IMO

World Communicates:
Wave Equation
EM Spectrum (order and relative wavelengths)
Inverse Square Law

Electrical Energy
Electric Fields
Ohms Law
Power
Magnetic Fields

Moving About
Speed/Acceleration
Vectors
N2L
Centripetal Acceleraton/Force
Weight/Mass
Kinetic Energy
Work
Law of Conservation of Energy
Momentum

Cosmic Engine:
Equivalence between mass and energy
Black Body Radiation
Alpha/Beta/Gamma Radiation
tfw when your school missed out on Weight, Work, Centripetal Acceleration/Force, and not even gonna finish cosmic engine in time. RIP

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
tfw when your school missed out on Weight, Work, Centripetal Acceleration/Force, and not even gonna finish cosmic engine in time. RIP
DW mate.

In all honesty, it's impossible to get through all 4 topics in Year 11 Phys/Chem and do it well. Most of the time I miss out on at least 3/4 of cosmic engine with my Year 11s, but I do ensure that those couple of things I mentioned are covered well :)

dragon658

HSC
Alright sweet Fizzy, thanks for that. Time to get learning what I should've learnt all year in a few weeks :cry:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
A small 3.23*10^-19 C positive ball is dropped into an electric field and is repelled by a 6.4*10^-14 N force. Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field.
Is the answer roughly 2.0 x 10^5 N/C and the force and the field are in the same direction since the electric charge is positive?

fjitlid

HSC
The captain of a fishing boat uses an echo sounder to determine the depth of a school of fish below the boat. The captain finds that the reflected waves return after o.15s and o.20s. The captain believes the first reflectin to be from the fish while the seconds is from the ocean floor. If the speed of sound in seawater is 1440m/s, determine the depth of the sea floor. (3 marks)

can anyone tell me the expected way of doing a question like this for year 11 physics? i looked it up and found ways which correlate to actual echo sounders, but realise i've never done this stuff in class.

any help is greatly appreciated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)