• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Preliminary mathematics marathon (2 Viewers)

HSC
Uni Grad
Please say how long your working out was.
No working out, I just drew the triangle and used a calculator to do sine rule :lol:

Anyone know where to find more of these contruction questions?
A tree stands at the north bank of a river with straight parallel banks running east to west. The angle of elevation to the top of a tree is 28° when measured from point A on the south bank and distant 3 metres to the west of the tree. From another point B on the south bank and distant 5 metres to the east of the tree, the angle of elevation of the tree is 19°. From a point half-way between A and B, find the angle of elevation of the top of the tree.

Last edited:

hscishard

HSC
No working out, I just visualised the triangle in my head and used a calculator to do sine rule :lol:

A tree stands at the north bank of a river with straight parallel banks running east to west. The angle of elevation to the top of a tree is 28° when measured from point A on the south bank and distant 3 metres to the west of the tree. From another point B on the south bank and distant 5 metres to the east of the tree, the angle of elevation of the tree is 19°. From a point half-way between A and B, find the angle of elevation of the top of the tree.

Don't get the question. Is this 3d Trig?

HSC
Uni Grad
Here's a diagram:

The question asks you to find the angle of elevation of the tree from the midpoint of AB.

HSC
Uni Grad
It's in 3D, the two horizontal lines are the parallel river banks, the line going upwards is the tree.

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh wait, read the question wrong, it says find the angle of elevation of the tree from the south bank due south of the tree between A and B.

HSC
Uni Grad
Wha? Whered the 90 come from?
Wtf..how is that the mindpoint.

I like the minus part
Oh wait, read the question wrong, it says find the angle of elevation of the tree from the south bank due south of the tree between A and B.
Haha yeah the minus, I was like how the fuck can they relate? And then I realised w was common.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)