• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Preliminary subject selection for Medicine (1 Viewer)

gpkane12

HSC
N/A
Hi, I am currently in Year 10 in the middle of my subject selection process. I am considering to go to USyd for medicine in the future. People mentioned that I would need to do the subjects in school:

> Maths Ext 1 or Ext 2
> English Adv or Ext 1
> Chemistry
> Biology
> Studies of Religion II (I'm in a Catholic School)

However, I take no interest in doing biology because I don't rally take interest in learning about plants and the environment (It sounds so much like geography, which I don't really like).Does Medicine have a prerequiste including Biology? Is it possible to do economics in place of Biology? Does USyd require people to have done Biology in school to be accepted into Medicine?

Thanks for your time :awesome:

Alkanes

HSC
There are no prerequisites for medicine. No joke, there is none at all. You could do all humanities subject and get in. All they care is your ATAR not the subjects you studied.

gpkane12

HSC
N/A
There are no prerequisites for medicine. No joke, there is none at all. You could do all humanities subject and get in. All they care is your ATAR not the subjects you studied.
But doesn't it say that you need an assumed knowledge of Maths Ext, English Advance, Chemistry, Biology or Physics?
What does it mean when it says recommended knowledge as well?

Alkanes

HSC
Hell no.
There is no assume knowledge for med, i repeat. I know someone who did just languages and got in. Recommended knowledge is the subjects that would be beneficial for the course, but there is no need.

Gigacube

HSC
Recommended subjects would probably be chemistry & possibly physics. You can definitely get into med without biology. They don't look at your subject choice when giving out offers. They just base it on the ATAR you have achieved.

Don't pick a subject that you dislike. Pick a subject that you enjoy because chances are, you'll do a lot better in that subject.

Biology is not a prerequisite. The only required subject is usually chem.

gpkane12

HSC
N/A
Sorry for asking so many questions but I really need to know. I am quite anxious about the HSC and my future. Do you mind answering more questions? Thanks :)

Questions
1.Is MBBS the same as medicine?
2.Do you need any assumed knowledge to get into MBBS?
3.What ATAR is required to get in both?
4.What UMAT score do you need to get into the course?
5.What sort of interview will the held, like what questions are likely to be asked?

Alkanes

HSC
1. Yes, but also graduate with a bachelor of surgery aswell as medicine
2. ^Read i answered everything up there for you
3. At UNSW, median ATAR is >99.60, but also depends on your umat score and interview. 99.95 ATAR at usyd for combined medicine
4. 90+ percentile could give u a shot of an interview, 80's too depends
5. Personal experiences, motivation etc.

Go figure.

gpkane12

HSC
N/A
1. Yes, but also graduate with a bachelor of surgery aswell as medicine
2. ^Read i answered everything up there for you
3. At UNSW, median ATAR is >99.60, but also depends on your umat score and interview. 99.95 ATAR at usyd for combined medicine
4. 90+ percentile could give u a shot of an interview, 80's too depends
5. Personal experiences, motivation etc.

Go figure.
Wow thanks for the replies, it really helps to have more than one opinion. Thanks :)

Gigacube

HSC
If you're aiming for med have a backup option in case you change your mind for whatever reason. You don't want to have to make this decision at the last minute as it can impact on what you do for the rest of your life.

gpkane12

HSC
N/A
If you're aiming for med have a backup option in case you change your mind for whatever reason. You don't want to have to make this decision at the last minute as it can impact on what you do for the rest of your life.
Do you suggest I do a few more units to be on the safe side or have another course backed up just in case, getting into medicine is impossible?

lil_pembo

HSC
biology is nothing like geography. There is little on plants in yr 12, but more in yr 11. however, if you dont like bio, do physics. PE may also be helpful as it looks at the stuff behind the actual medicine eg public health etc and there is no prac.

But if you dont get into med straight away they reckon the better doctors are the post grad med students.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You do realise there is no undergraduate medicine at USYD even if you do the 99.95 course at USYD you have to do your other degree in combined med first.

If you wanna do med after the HSC in Sydney you go to UNSW or UWS.

Gigacube

HSC
Do you suggest I do a few more units to be on the safe side or have another course backed up just in case, getting into medicine is impossible?
It's up to you with the amount of units you decide to take. You need to be able to manage the workload. Do subjects that you enjoy. Also have another course backed up just in case.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Just so you know, do the subjects that you like and that you are good at.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
And UMAT.
I suggest you do these in year 11:
English Extension 1
Mathematics Extension 1
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Studies of Religion II

Year 12:
English (Advanced)
Mathematics Extension 2
Chemistry
Physics/Biology
Studies of Religion I/II

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)