• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Preliminary Subject Selections (1 Viewer)

tracychau

HSC
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on my potential subjects for year 11. At the moment, I'm considering

Adv Eng
Ext Eng
Adv Maths
Ext Maths
Legal Studies
Ancient History
Society and Culture/Modern History
PDH

I'm an English/humanities based person but I'm worried this may be too much for me to handle (content and writing-wise).

However since I'm doing both extension courses, I could drop a line and get free periods instead. (I would probably drop S&C/modern.)
Being a huge procrastinator, I don't know how I'll go with the PIP for S&C but I've been advised against doing both modern and ancient.

My main concern would be knowing my hsie faculty isn't that great, so I'm not 100% confident with what to choose. But definitely not science.
Any advice/tips would be highly appreciated! :)

Ambility

HSC
If you're an English/humanities based person, why are you doing Extension 1 Maths?

blackbird_14

HSC
I know people who have done both history courses and did well... So it's up to how well you study for them.

That SAC PIP kills a lot of people with poor management skills, in my grade they recently did a mini pip and many were doing surveys a week out from submission. So depends on your time management skills.

tracychau

HSC
If you're an English/humanities based person, why are you doing Extension 1 Maths?
I'm good with maths as well! I'm in the year 10 accelerated class, currently doing the yr 11 2u course. We're starting 3u work next term but we've touched on some 3u already in tutor.
If anything I can always drop it right?

Last edited:

tracychau

HSC
I know people who have done both history courses and did well... So it's up to how well you study for them.

That SAC PIP kills a lot of people with poor management skills, in my grade they recently did a mini pip and many were doing surveys a week out from submission. So depends on your time management skills.
My time management and organisation is atrocious. But I'm worried that my choices now might be too much writing for me (fairly ironic since I've said that I'm an English person haha).
Also do you have any tips for getting a crappy teacher?

Killua101

HSC
Lol crappy teachers are everywhere but once again, humanities are those subjects that if u read the textbook and understand the content you will be 100% fine. This happened to me in Economics. I have literally the worst teacher that cant explain for shit, so all i did was get a laptop in class and started making dot point notes in a word document. Tbh, i didnt even listen to my teacher and just did notes and past papers until the half yearly. Turns out the economics was the best subject i did well in, in fact i got 56/59 for it, and like half the class failed coz they only did wat the teacher taught them (which is nothing in the syllabus).
So yeah, dww if u have a crappy teacher, especially in humanities (coz in science u need teachers to explain stuff) then u will be fineeee. Just make sure u keep writing notes from syllabus and do any past papers.
Hope this helps

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Lol crappy teachers are everywhere but once again, humanities are those subjects that if u read the textbook and understand the content you will be 100% fine. This happened to me in Economics. I have literally the worst teacher that cant explain for shit, so all i did was get a laptop in class and started making dot point notes in a word document. Tbh, i didnt even listen to my teacher and just did notes and past papers until the half yearly. Turns out the economics was the best subject i did well in, in fact i got 56/59 for it, and like half the class failed coz they only did wat the teacher taught them (which is nothing in the syllabus).
So yeah, dww if u have a crappy teacher, especially in humanities (coz in science u need teachers to explain stuff) then u will be fineeee. Just make sure u keep writing notes from syllabus and do any past papers.
Hope this helps
I'm going to do the same in Physics until the end of the year. I've had enough of my Physics teacher.

tracychau

HSC
Hope this helps
Wow, good job on your Economics mark!
That was really helpful. How did you find the transition from yr 10 to 11?

rawrliongirl

HSC
I'd say, do what you enjoy.
I'm a massive procrastinator as well (its sooooo bad!), but if you can somehow manage to stay on top of all your notes you should be fine (which at the moment I am not D; )
I have a few friends who do both modern and ancient, in fact I was going to as well, but dropped ancient the first day of year 11 to change to multimedia (so much regret cause I'm hating multimedia at the mo..major project grrrr). But yeah those friends of mine who do both histories seem to be coping pretty well.

I do chemistry and biology, and my biggest concern was that my science faculty is the worst (and I managed to get the worst teacher for chem, bio is pretty bad as well)... Since year 7 I've had to self teach myself science and these past two years have been pretty intense, but sometimes I feel that I learn more on my own anyway. It also prepares you for uni. If you happen to get bad teachers just make notes on your own. Use whatever resources you have to teach it yourself. Humanities is good because it seems to be mostly based on reading the text books.

Overall, if you work hard and get yourself into some good study habits, you should be fine :)

Last edited:

tracychau

HSC
I'd say, do what you enjoy.
I'm a massive procrastinator as well (its sooooo bad!), but if you can somehow manage to stay on top of all your notes you should be fine (which at the moment I am not D; )
I have a few friends who do both modern and ancient, in fact I was going to as well, but dropped ancient the first day of year 11 to change to multimedia (so much regret cause I'm hating multimedia at the mo..major project grrrr). But yeah those friends of mine who do both histories seem to be coping pretty well.

I do chemistry and biology, and my biggest concern was that my science faculty is the worst (and I managed to get the worst teacher for chem, bio is pretty bad as well)... Since year 7 I've had to self teach myself science and these past two years have been pretty intense, but sometimes I feel that I learn more on my own anyway. It also prepares you for uni. If you happen to get bad teachers just make notes on your own. Use whatever resources you have to teach it yourself. Humanities is good because it seems to be mostly based on reading the text books.

Overall, if you work hard and get yourself into some good study habits, you should be fine :)
Aww no! Are you gonna drop multimedia in yr 12 then?

I totally get you! I haven't had a very good learning experience with my science faculty either, so the foundation of my basic knowledge isn't very strong (hence I'm not choosing any sciences because there's assumed knowledge from junior yrs).
Good job on your self teaching though - sounds like a useful method!

Do you have any advice on good study habits?

rawrliongirl

HSC
Aww no! Are you gonna drop multimedia in yr 12 then?

I totally get you! I haven't had a very good learning experience with my science faculty either, so the foundation of my basic knowledge isn't very strong (hence I'm not choosing any sciences because there's assumed knowledge from junior yrs).
Good job on your self teaching though - sounds like a useful method!

Do you have any advice on good study habits?
I'm already in year 12 haha I wish I could drop multimedia but its actually my best subject ;-;
My only advice is try as hard as possible not to procrastinate, make notes early (or keep up with them throughout the term) and make them according to the syllabus.
Also, ensure you have the vast majority of your notes completed before any major exams ! It will make your life 100 times easier as you won't be cramming the day before (something I did for my half yearlies this year and I can assure you it is not fun). You definitely want to give yourself time to do some past papers or practice questions.

But honestly, year 11 doesn't count towards anything except your ROSA and assuming you aren't going to be leaving school at the end of year 11 that stuff isn't too important. That doesn't mean completely slack off though, because if you do you will be creating bad habits for yourself which will be harder to get rid of in year 12 (my situation rn), and some of the things you learn in year 11 will carry on to year 12.
Most of all just enjoy the remainder of year 10 and have make sure you have a bit of fun in year 11 :p

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
You should have a look at Economics and Business Studies too, they are boss AF Social Sciences. Well. This is being said from someone who is great at Social Sciences and enjoys them while maintaining top 3 ranks.

Also, reconsider English Extension 1. Personally, I am really good at English Advanced, however, English Extension is a world different from Year 10 English Advanced. And SENIOR English Advanced is also very very different to Year 10 English Advanced.

But likewise, you can always drop English Extension 1, if anything doesn't work out for you!

And, I dont do either Ancient or Modern History, but why aren't you allowed to do both?

tracychau

HSC
I'm already in year 12 haha I wish I could drop multimedia but its actually my best subject ;-;
My only advice is try as hard as possible not to procrastinate, make notes early (or keep up with them throughout the term) and make them according to the syllabus.
Also, ensure you have the vast majority of your notes completed before any major exams ! It will make your life 100 times easier as you won't be cramming the day before (something I did for my half yearlies this year and I can assure you it is not fun). You definitely want to give yourself time to do some past papers or practice questions.

But honestly, year 11 doesn't count towards anything except your ROSA and assuming you aren't going to be leaving school at the end of year 11 that stuff isn't too important. That doesn't mean completely slack off though, because if you do you will be creating bad habits for yourself which will be harder to get rid of in year 12 (my situation rn), and some of the things you learn in year 11 will carry on to year 12.
Most of all just enjoy the remainder of year 10 and have make sure you have a bit of fun in year 11 :p
Wow, that's wonderful!

That sounds really helpful actually -- I always cram before exams so when it's assessment week and I have a few consecutive tests, I pull half nighters and it's pretty bad.

I've always maintained a top 5 position in subjects like eng, maths, pdh, my electives, and top 10 in the other subjects (geo, sci, hist, etc) but this year has been pretty awful so I gotta wait for half yearly reports to see how much slack I have to pick up.

I will definitely keep your advice in mind!

tracychau

HSC
You should have a look at Economics and Business Studies too, they are boss AF Social Sciences. Well. This is being said from someone who is great at Social Sciences and enjoys them while maintaining top 3 ranks.

Also, reconsider English Extension 1. Personally, I am really good at English Advanced, however, English Extension is a world different from Year 10 English Advanced. And SENIOR English Advanced is also very very different to Year 10 English Advanced.

But likewise, you can always drop English Extension 1, if anything doesn't work out for you!

And, I dont do either Ancient or Modern History, but why aren't you allowed to do both?
I don't think I'm a very business-y person, but I will definitely consider them when we are given the sheet that tells us our lines.
Top 3 is great, good on you!

Hmmm. Can you explain more about Eng ext 1 please?

Oh it's not that I'm not allowed -- I was just advised against doing both. I'm not too sure why though!

rawrliongirl

HSC
Wow, that's wonderful!

That sounds really helpful actually -- I always cram before exams so when it's assessment week and I have a few consecutive tests, I pull half nighters and it's pretty bad.

I've always maintained a top 5 position in subjects like eng, maths, pdh, my electives, and top 10 in the other subjects (geo, sci, hist, etc) but this year has been pretty awful so I gotta wait for half yearly reports to see how much slack I have to pick up.

I will definitely keep your advice in mind!
That's great! I was at the top for most of my subjects in year 10 (besides maths) and I was a very last minute person :') I've never actually been able to get rid of this bad procrastination habit of mine (been like this since primary school), and I am in fact procrastinating at this very moment... browsing the bos forums instead of studying for my english test tomorrow..

Yeah, you definitely don't want to be cramming in year 11/12. I had pulled an all nighter for my chemistry half yearly this year. I got about 1 1/2 hours of sleep but somehow managed to pass (though not by much). I was falling asleep in the exam and was slow responding to questions - it wasn't pleasant. Plus your stress levels go through the roof when you're trying to remember bucket loads of information for a test the next day D:

I've actually fallen behind on my note making and I'm freaking out because trials are next term and I still have to start memorising content and doing practice papers D: ;-;

tracychau

HSC
That's great! I was at the top for most of my subjects in year 10 (besides maths) and I was a very last minute person :') I've never actually been able to get rid of this bad procrastination habit of mine (been like this since primary school), and I am in fact procrastinating at this very moment... browsing the bos forums instead of studying for my english test tomorrow..

Yeah, you definitely don't want to be cramming in year 11/12. I had pulled an all nighter for my chemistry half yearly this year. I got about 1 1/2 hours of sleep but somehow managed to pass (though not by much). I was falling asleep in the exam and was slow responding to questions - it wasn't pleasant. Plus your stress levels go through the roof when you're trying to remember bucket loads of information for a test the next day D:

I've actually fallen behind on my note making and I'm freaking out because trials are next term and I still have to start memorising content and doing practice papers D: ;-;
I'm totally with you -- I have been like this since forever too! But primary was a breeze, I don't even know why I stressed out for that. good luck on english today!
I'll admit it has honestly never crossed my mind to make notes throughout the term. Until I read what you posted and I was like, 'wow, how did i not think of this?'
I feel like with the BoS forum, all the resources I need are already here but I'm afraid that I won't use it to my advantage and still continue with bad habits.

Oh wow ... damn. Yeah I get what you mean, trying to keep your eyes open and knowing that you may have missed something because you didn't get enough sleep. Well at least you passed! If you usually get high marks and get a really bad one in a test in yr 12, does it drag your marks down dramatically?

I'm so relieved the holidays are soon -- are you going to use that time to catch up on your notes? Good luck on your trials btw! (you won't need it though, because you're definitely going to study and NOT procrastinate!)

Also, how are you finding modern and bio? I was told modern is pretty intense. And although I'm genuinely interested in science, I haven't really had a good learning experience so the foundation of my basic knowledge is pretty crappy. I don't want to regret not choosing any sciences though.

sourmilk

HSC
Just keep in mind that if you were brilliant in English in Year 10, don't feel disheartened if you are merely average in Advanced. The jump for Year 10 to Year 11 was quite annoying.
Extension English is pretty time-consuming, so you should be wary if you have some EC on the side.
Also- with the decision to drop a subject. I would say wait until the mid-way of Year 11 to drop a subject, since I've witnessed many friends who dropped too early and suddenly regret it because their remaining subjects became intolerable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)