preparation for physics course 1st year(no physics for hsc) (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hey,
Can any1 advise me on what topics or what I should do to prepare for the engineering physics course? (the easier one 1134 or something like that) I didnt do physics in high school although i did do extension 1.

Also anyone know when I have to choose my major for engineering? doing double degree, got my timetable but didnt choose my eng major yet.

THanks

kennyb22

HSC
Well it's a bit hard to tell without knowing your engineering stream but you should read:
Preliminary (Year 11):
Moving about, Communication, Electrical Energy in the home
HSC (Year 12):
Motors and generators, Ideas to implementation

Those topics should be enough to cover most of the assumed knowledge if not all for PHYS1121.

P.T.F.E

HSC
If you are doing PHYS1121, which is physics 1A, then despite what they say there is a lot of assumed knowledge. I didn't do Physics HSC and I am happy to say I passed but it was tough ( I had to do higher for my degree). I didn't realise how much knowledge everyone else already had on me, and if Joe Woolfe is your lecturer then you are going to have a mighty bad time trying to follow. The textbook is your greatest friend ever. I recommend reading what topics you will be covering in the lecture, read corresponding chapters and work through the examples as you go. Then at the end attempt the chapter questions. Because in the end that is all the fortnightly quizzes and exam is, textbook questions.
The website posted above is also a great tool, but it is developed by Woolfe and he knows his stuff but for someone who doesn't (like myself) they can find it a little difficult comprehend and apply to other conceptual questions.
You will cover Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Waves.

HSC
N/A
If you are doing PHYS1121, which is physics 1A, then despite what they say there is a lot of assumed knowledge. I didn't do Physics HSC and I am happy to say I passed but it was tough ( I had to do higher for my degree). I didn't realise how much knowledge everyone else already had on me, and if Joe Woolfe is your lecturer then you are going to have a mighty bad time trying to follow. The textbook is your greatest friend ever. I recommend reading what topics you will be covering in the lecture, read corresponding chapters and work through the examples as you go. Then at the end attempt the chapter questions. Because in the end that is all the fortnightly quizzes and exam is, textbook questions.
The website posted above is also a great tool, but it is developed by Woolfe and he knows his stuff but for someone who doesn't (like myself) they can find it a little difficult comprehend and apply to other conceptual questions.
You will cover Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Waves.
thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)