Prepared answers (1 Viewer)

absorber

HSC
Right, I was just looking at the marking notes from 2008, and one of the chief points was this (in relation to extended responses):
'not write prepared answers. Invariably, such responses do not demonstrate analytical insight and do not address important aspects of the question.'
Yeah. In the past I've prepared answers and applied them to multiple questions fine, so does this really need to be taken heed of? Thanks.

HSC
i would never do prepared answers. ive read questions where they actually specify what your answer should include. for example, on the option consumers there was a question that said you must include a discussion on financing a purchase. so personally i wouldnt and never have done prepared answers.

lcx

HSC
yeh can prepare dot points about ur main ideas for the focus questions
as these will always be about the main parts of the syllabus but u hav to remember to specifically apply it to the question otherwise u'll be marked down alot!
do not write up a whole essay and rote learn though

Venom.

HSC
If you write an essay for each option on every possible question [I.e. one on effectiveness, one on legal/non legal remedies, one on law reform] then you should be well prepped anyways, and not need to memorise.

verdades

HSC
Right, I was just looking at the marking notes from 2008, and one of the chief points was this (in relation to extended responses):
'not write prepared answers. Invariably, such responses do not demonstrate analytical insight and do not address important aspects of the question.'
Yeah. In the past I've prepared answers and applied them to multiple questions fine, so does this really need to be taken heed of? Thanks.
With the likelihood of them throwing something strange in this year, just 'cause, no, you won't be fine.

Know your stuff and how to write an essay analysing and answering the question, and you'll be fine.

HSC

I personally don't think it is detrimental to memorise an essay prior to the exam if it has worked for you before, as long as you don't use your answer anyway if it doesn't relate to the question. I'm guessing any essay will probably be loosely relevant to the question, so as long as you still understand and learn the main issues in the syllabus and ADAPT it to the question extra learning of an essay probably won't hurt.

Having said that, my personal preference is to know dot points so I don't feel the need to force what may become irrelevant information into an essay question, but it's your choice - whatever works for you.

pale-perfect

HSC
hmmm i wonder what they will ask for the focus group extended responses
I'm really praying it's effectiveness or continuity and change. I'm doign family and workplace so I think those would be the most relivant for this year, but relevance doesnt seem to bother the BOS.

danal353

HSC
is it just me or is continuity and change and law reform the same thing?

Leo Vanguard

Hur Dur
HSC
^Not exactly. Law reform is a result of continuity and change, but not the same thing. Continuity and change is how the law has changed, adapted and/or developed over time in response to changing views/values in society.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
i would never do prepared answers. ive read questions where they actually specify what your answer should include. for example, on the option consumers there was a question that said you must include a discussion on financing a purchase. so personally i wouldnt and never have done prepared answers.
+1 especially the first sentence and taking into account what OP said.

alina yousif

HSC
For legal it's hard to have prepared answers because you don't know what sort of question it'll be. What I do is just get familiar with a few issues and know legislation, media articles and cases and once I see the question I'll work things out from there. Besides bos has made it specifically clear that this years format is going to be different due to many in previous years preparing answers. So let's just prepare it whilst in the exam tomorow :) goodluck people

alina yousif

HSC
but then what's law reform?
Well you could say changes in societal values and moral standards for instance has allowed the law reform commission to conduct inquiries into these areas and thus, as a result of changes in society (e.g same sex relationships becoming increasingly open), parliaments and courts and other agencies of reform are able to review and reform laws to suit the needs of society (e.g passing the property (relationsips) act to include same sex relationships as de facto) :)

danal353

HSC
arrrghhh it still sounds like the same thing to continuity and change... maybe I'm just stupid...

absorber

HSC
lol, to all you people who say it's stupid- I'm going to do it anyway. I got 85 in the trial doing that, got about 46/50 for the essays section if I recall correctly. Yeah, I know, risky. But due to time constraints I'm taking it, it's not difficult to bend arguments if you're just a little flexible with your knowledge.

-_-

HSC
Dude its a bad idea..if you can leave about 2 hrs for the two essays that gives you ample time to plan an essay out. Memorising essays leaves too much to chance.

And yes continuity and change is basically law reform.

bmn

HSC
Prepared essays with knowledge in others areas if necessary is the way to go, with your essay focusing on 3-4 issues... Legal is easy to adapt, and you can just blab on about areas and throw in a fake article if necessary. Chances are you'll be able to include 3/4+ of your essay into one of the 2 options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)