Preparing for English Papers 1 & 2 (1 Viewer)

study1234

HSC
I know that Papers 1 & 2 are set on back-to-back days in both the Trials and external HSC for Advanced English. How did you guys memorise 4 essays + 1 creative (and possible more) at once?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Not at once - one a day a week before the exams, practising the memorised ones on each day as well.

But by that time, a good student would have edited and revised a generic time and time again to the extent where you know most of the sentence structures by heart already. Also, having memorised each essay for the previous assessments helps to keep it semi-fresh in your memory which cuts the memorisation time by a lot.

mishy_mash

HSC
I used to memorise my essays 2 days before the paper 1 and paper 2 exam. (yes i know, it may sound too late to do so, but i'm sure everyone else would have done the same). I would highlight the main ideas in each of the paragraph so i would get an idea of what I would mainly talk about the essay in the exam. Next I would briefly memorise the introduction and move onto the second paragraph and memorise bits by bits. I would also cover up what I had tried to memorise and write on the piece of paper to see if I had written what I wrote in the essay. If I didn't memorise everything, I would continue to write it until I got it! This was a very long process but I must say I do get lazy when I try to memorise the last essay (especially paper 2). So instead i just memorise the quotes and a brief explanations of them.

If you can't be bothered memorising your essay fully, I suggest memorising quotes and the explanations instead because you tend to blank out in the exam. But as long as you remember the quotes, you should be fine :) Just elaborate on your point more!

I hope this helps!

study1234

HSC
So how long before do you recommend starting to memorise my essays/creatives?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I know that Papers 1 & 2 are set on back-to-back days in both the Trials and external HSC for Advanced English. How did you guys memorise 4 essays + 1 creative (and possible more) at once?
You should have memorised your creative by the trials-since you will have more than enough time throughout the year to do so. I really wouldn't recommend remember generic essays unless you know how to adapt them to specific exam questions. Don't get too stuck into the mindset of memorising 4 essays and you are good to go. You really need to be quite flexible, for example, for belonging, they can ask you for one or two related text, they don't even need to ask you to write an essay, they can ask you to write a speech-which will require you to adapt to the conventions of a speech using your current knowledge. Don't worry so much about memorisation for now-just understand and make sure you can adapt your knowledge to answer as many different essay question as possible.

mishy_mash

HSC
So how long before do you recommend starting to memorise my essays/creatives?
I would say between 1 wk-2 days before the exam. Only memorise essays if you think you can adapt well to the exam question. Personally, I don't memorise creatives because I think it's just a waste of time. So instead just have a run through of your story lines that you have made up.

studybuddy101

HSC
i had a good creative in year 11 and used the same one in every exam from year 11 trials through to hsc so i got lucky there. Also used the same belonging essay from year 11 (term 4) all the way through to year 12. I memorised module C for the half yearly exam and Module A for the trial exam (didn't memorise module B for trials). by the HSC i had everything but module B (learnt that one a week or so before the test) stuck in my brain like glue, very lucky also since the paper 2 module B question didn't really let me use my memorised one anyways (wrote it on the spot just like trials).

It's a lot easier than it sounds, i remember the first time someone told me there were 4 essays and a creative i needed new pants. As you go through the year it just sort of happens though, try not to worry about it and just put consistent effort

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)