Preparing for HSC (1 Viewer)

indeed

HSC
I've just done the Common Module for English advanced last term, and I was wondering what & how I should prepare memorisation stuff for the hsc (so that right after trials I don't have to do any notes/memorisation and can jump straight into practice papers). For extra context, I don't have personal English notes, only the ones I've jointed down in class.

I've been told I shouldn't memorise essays (and I personally don't want to either), so I don't know if I should be memorising quotes (from common module text The Crucible), memorising key parts of the common mod rubric, memorising techniques and effect etc.

What would you guys recommend to do?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
You could start to refine your body paragraphs for your common mod essays (if not already started) so you won't go in blind, then (if you choose) you can start to memorise them. These would be your body paragraphs for all common mod essays

Alternatively you could memorise quote + any evidence

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I've just done the Common Module for English advanced last term, and I was wondering what & how I should prepare memorisation stuff for the hsc (so that right after trials I don't have to do any notes/memorisation and can jump straight into practice papers). For extra context, I don't have personal English notes, only the ones I've jointed down in class.

I've been told I shouldn't memorise essays (and I personally don't want to either), so I don't know if I should be memorising quotes (from common module text The Crucible), memorising key parts of the common mod rubric, memorising techniques and effect etc.

I just memorised quotes and in my notes I had some analysis written down for each quote as well as a topic sentence so I had a general idea of what to write for each quote in the exam, but I didn't specifically memorise the analysis.

Also did 0 past papers for English since I believe that they're useless unless you have a tutor/friends who are better at english/teacher that will voluntarily mark your essays (which I didn't have so I didn't do any). Otherwise you won't even know if the essay you're writing is good...

nathanzhou1234

HSC

I usually memorised a few quotes and some explanations from each of them.

indeed

HSC
You could start to refine your body paragraphs for your common mod essays (if not already started) so you won't go in blind, then (if you choose) you can start to memorise them. These would be your body paragraphs for all common mod essays

Alternatively you could memorise quote + any evidence
Oh ok thank you!

indeed

HSC
I just memorised quotes and in my notes I had some analysis written down for each quote as well as a topic sentence so I had a general idea of what to write for each quote in the exam, but I didn't specifically memorise the analysis.

Also did 0 past papers for English since I believe that they're useless unless you have a tutor/friends who are better at english/teacher that will voluntarily mark your essays (which I didn't have so I didn't do any). Otherwise you won't even know if the essay you're writing is good...
Thank you for advice!

indeed

HSC
  1. Understand the Common Module: Make sure you have a deep understanding of the texts, themes, and ideas presented in the Common Module. This will be the foundation for your understanding of the other texts and modules that you will study later on. If you need to, review the Common Module texts and notes you've taken in class.
  2. Review the rubric: Familiarize yourself with the rubric for the Common Module, as well as the rubrics for the other modules. Understand what the examiners are looking for and how they will be assessing your work.
  3. Practice analyzing quotes: Instead of memorizing quotes, practice analyzing them in context. Understand the meaning and significance of the quotes and how they relate to the text as a whole.
  4. Practice writing essays: Practice writing essays that respond to the different types of questions you may encounter in the exam. Make sure you are familiar with the different techniques and effects used in the texts and how to use them in your own writing.
  5. Work on your skills: Work on improving your general English skills, such as reading comprehension, vocabulary, grammar, and critical thinking. These skills will be essential for the HSC exam.
  6. Practice papers: Do as many practice papers as you can. This will give you a sense of what to expect in the exam and help you identify areas where you need to improve.
Thank you so much for the tips and advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)