Preparing for Uni? (1 Viewer)

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
so im doing Mech Eng at UNSW this year and im doing a maths, phys, chem and a computing course. I heard that the maths is pretty much yr 12 4unit. How can I prepare for this? I only did 2u maths (hsc mark 87). How can I also prepare for the other subs?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What maths course are you doing? Like MATH1131? MATH1141?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
You don't need to prepare for any first year course, as long as you fulfill the assumed knowledge section for the courses.

However for computing, a good place to learn how to code very basically is this site: http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0

The only thing you should be wary of is that you will be learning a different, but similar, language in first year computing.

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
im doing math1131 phys1211 chem1031 and computing for eng

is it better to have a mac or windows for the comp course?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
MATH1131? Yeah you should be fine... just make sure you do the questions and listen in lectures and all that. The 3u and 4u kids will have an advantage in seeing topics before - but that's nothing hard work can't rectify, somewhat.

kcqn93

HSC
im doing math1131 phys1211 chem1031 and computing for eng

is it better to have a mac or windows for the comp course?
For first year comp subject, all you need is something that can run a UNIX terminal and a text editor. It doesn't matter.

Macs runs on UNIX and for Windows you'll probably use Putty to compile. They'll probably even make you code in the terminal itself with pico or vim.

I personally use a Macbook Air on the go because it's light and I got it for free from my sister's workplace. However I use a Linux machine at home.

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
im thinking of getting a macbook pro. is it alright for my degree and my comp subject?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I don't think Engineers really need laptops esp. for first year, there are always lab computers (although in your defence, you're probably not awared to this yet) if you need to code junk.

But yes a MBP would do great

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Taking my MBA air this year (had a little netbook last year). I don't use a laptop *that* much in tutorials or lectures, but I do like to grab a spot near a tree or something and do some study with it when I can.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Do engineers use specific programs for work? You would probably have to bootcamp that shit because I hazard to guess that it wouldn't be OSX-compatible so you would need to buy a copy of Windows anyway.

D94

HSC
N/A
so im doing Mech Eng at UNSW this year and im doing a maths, phys, chem and a computing course. I heard that the maths is pretty much yr 12 4unit. How can I prepare for this? I only did 2u maths (hsc mark 87). How can I also prepare for the other subs?
You sure you got that right? Mech as in Mechanical? or did you mean Chem Eng?

Anyway, as for Maths, just brush over a 4U textbook if you want to, or feel as if you're behind. As for computers/laptops, if there are PDF notes, I might just read them off my phone, and if there are programs, I'm sure they have have computer labs. I don't think I'll be bringing in a laptop to Uni.

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A

Anyway, as for Maths, just brush over a 4U textbook if you want to, or feel as if you're behind. As for computers/laptops, if there are PDF notes, I might just read them off my phone, and if there are programs, I'm sure they have have computer labs. I don't think I'll be bringing in a laptop to Uni.
mech eng/science (chem)

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A

But i didnt do 4u so i wouldnt have a clue if I did read over it.

D94

HSC
N/A
4U isn't assumed knowledge for any Engineering. However, 3U is.
Sure, but there are topics like Complex Numbers in MATH1131 so you wouldn't be on par with the people who did 4U.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)