Preparing for Uni? (1 Viewer)

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Sure, but there are topics like Complex Numbers in MATH1131 so you wouldn't be on par with the people who did 4U.
Can't be THAT difficult to catch up if 4U isn't assumed knowledge.

currently dropping my nuts for this semester.
IMO, the difficulty gap between 2U and 3U is a lot less than the gap between 3U and 4U. Besides, according to the UNSW Handbook for MATH1131 "Assumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics Extension 1. Students will be expected to have achieved a combined mark of at least 100 in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1." Since you got 87 in 2U, you're only 13 marks under the combined expectation (and you didn't even do 3U). I'm pretty sure that, if you had done 3U, you would have gotten more than 13/50 as a HSC mark.

Last edited:

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
Can't be THAT difficult to catch up if 4U isn't assumed knowledge.

IMO, the difficulty gap between 2U and 3U is a lot less than the gap between 3U and 4U. Besides, according to the UNSW Handbook for MATH1131 "Assumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics Extension 1. Students will be expected to have achieved a combined mark of at least 100 in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1." Since you got 87 in 2U, you're only 13 marks under the combined expectation (and you didn't even do 3U). I'm pretty sure that, if you had done 3U, you would have gotten more than 13/50 as a HSC mark.
yeah I shouldve done 3u. the lowest mark in the 3u class was 29. and he had an 85 for his HSC mark in athd advanced. so yeah hopefully i'll be able to catch up in first year maths.

danjw

HSC
Curious as to what parts of 3 unit will be necessary for MATH1131, will I need to revise the whole course or are some parts more important then others?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You don't revise anything. You have enough time to learn everything you need to. They teach you from scratch.

/MATH1141 student

danjw

HSC
You don't revise anything. You have enough time to learn everything you need to. They teach you from scratch.

/MATH1141 student
Why have assumed knowledge then? Is it just because they teach at such a fast pace or what?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Because if you haven't seen trigonometric integrals before - for example, you're going to be very lost when they explain it quickly. And they do explain it quickly.

They have assumed knowledge because they'll tend to skip over the stuff you've seen in 3u or go super quickly through it. I remember my lecturer going on about trigonometric integrals and he just said, "You've seen this in 3 unit before so I'm going to just skim through this very quickly".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)